Honored Contributor

This was part of the recipe I posted for Moroccan Chicken & Vegetable Soup.  I was a little leery of these but made them and in the soup they are delicious. 

1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
1-1/2 T coconut oil
pinch salt
1/4 t ground cumin
1/8 t ground cinnamon
pinch of ground ginger

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place chickpeas on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Remove any loose skins.  Roast for 20 minutes.  

Add the coconut oil and salt.  Toss and return to oven for 15-20 minutes more until golden brown. 

Turn oven off.  Toss chickpeas with cumin, cinnamon and ginger.  Return to oven with door closed and heat off for 1 hour or until crunchy.  Set aside to cool.  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne

Thanks for the recipe!  Do you think this would work with canned chickpeas?   And do you think they would be good in a salad? 

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady

I am sure they would because in the original recipe it said "1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or one 15 oz can, drained, rinsed and patted dry".  I cooked them because I don't care for canned ones - they have a tinny taste to me.  Mine came out very hard but put in soup they were good.  May be the canned ones will come out crunchy and not so hard for a salad.  It is certainly worth a try.  

Respected Contributor

Mustang, I have made these many times using canned: they make an excellent snack. I do rinse them really well because the canned variety has a lot of starch. Pat dry really well, and away you go....

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2

@DiAnne

Thanks for your input.  I have a couple of cans of chickpeas on the shelf and if time allows, will try it this weekend!  Hope you both have a peaceful weekend!

Contributor

I make this type of snack too. In a bowl, I mix a small amout of olive oil with a Penzey's spice blend, usually Arizona Dreaming or one of their Indian blends. I toss in a can of drained garbanzos. Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Great as is for snacking or toss in with a salad. 

Respected Contributor

Yellowbird, at the ripe old age of 56, I'm just now beginning to use more spices-especially a little heat.  Can you tell me about the predominant spices in the Penzy that you use?  Is it hot?

Thanks,

Poodlepet2