Super Contributor

Butter Chicken - InstaPot or stove top?

I'm making the Indian dish, Butter Chicken for the first time this weekend.

I have a recipe to do it in a skillet on my stove and one for an Insta Pot. 

Has anybody done it both ways?

Just curious which is better - or if it even matters.

Honored Contributor

Re: Butter Chicken - InstaPot or stove top?

i LOVE butter chicken!

would love your stovetop recipe when you get a chance.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

If your recipe sticks with tradition and uses chicken thighs rather than chicken breast, it shouldn't make a big difference which way you cook it, since the meat is likely to stay moist. I've found that you sometimes have to experiment with recipes using chicken breast in an electric pressure cooker because it is really easy to end up with tough, overcooked meat, despite all the moisture the pot retains.

I might have to try this myself, though—I love my stovetop butter chicken recipe, and making it in a pressure cooker would be much quicker and easier! Thanks for the idea...

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc.   I must say in over 50 years of experience pressure cooker cooking, I've never had tough, overcooked meat.  It's always falling apart, moist and tender, so it must not be too easy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@sunshine45

I think this is Meredith Laurence's recipe. Smiley Happy BTW, I've been watching her new FB video every Thursday night and it is fantastic! Last week she did an hour on knife skills and how to sharpen knives. I learned SO much. Here's the recipe for stovetop:

Butter Chicken

Ingredients

• 4 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1½ teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 cup tomato puree
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • salt
  • cilantro leaves, for garnish

Instructions

1. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until they start to soften – about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Sauté for a few more minutes, stirring often to toast the spices.
  2. Add the chicken pieces and sauté for a few minutes, until they are no longer pink. Pour in the tomato purée and heavy cream and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Add the remaining butter and swirl the pan to melt the butter into the sauce. Season to taste with salt.
  3. Serve the butter chicken over basmati rice and garnish with the cilantro leaves. Some naan bread would be really nice with this so that you can scoop up any leftover sauce.

Super Contributor

@Kachina624

Then I'm going with the faster, easier method of InstaPot, lol.

If my husband likes it I'll try it again in a skillet and do a comparison.

I have to say, my Aussie likes it when I cook on the stove much better. She has a chair that gives her a view of the goings on in the kitchen and the InstaPot doesn't interest her much, LOL.

mrd.jpg

Super Contributor

@loriqvc

I've been using free range, organic chicken breasts. We signed up for a home delivery service that provides restaurant quality meats. While the breasts are smaller and have nothing injected into them (or the bird) and have good flavor, they are much leaner than I'm used to cooing with. So far I haven't done anything but skillet cooking with them so this will be an experiment if I do the Insta Pot. Here's hoping it comes out great!

Esteemed Contributor

@AussieLuvr

Love your furbaby!Heart

If concerned about chicken breasts getting tough in the IP, would marinating them overnite in milk, then drying off before pressure cooking them?

Super Contributor

@eddyandme

Thank you! She is a retired agility champion and is busy going from super fit to a little fat and sassy, lol.

I'm not sure what to expect from the chicken breasts I have. I always bought them from the store and knew what to expect from them, but the chicken breasts I have are so much leaner. I don't think it can hurt to marinate them, so I may just do that. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr wrote:

@loriqvc

I've been using free range, organic chicken breasts. We signed up for a home delivery service that provides restaurant quality meats. While the breasts are smaller and have nothing injected into them (or the bird) and have good flavor, they are much leaner than I'm used to cooing with. So far I haven't done anything but skillet cooking with them so this will be an experiment if I do the Insta Pot. Here's hoping it comes out great!

@AussieLuvr . I got both an InstaPot & organic meat & chicken for Christmas.  I have not used my InstaPot yet but plan on trying it out for the first time this weekend.  I plan on making my organic chicken parm....looks very easy!

Hope both of our meals come out great! Smiley Happy