Honored Contributor

Re: Best homemade margarita recipe? Cointreau or Triple Sec?

HappyDaze wrote:

@Sunshine45 I will have to pick some of that Napolean up too- sounds good!

@mustang66lady I agree, I just cannot "do" cheaper alcohol and not because I am an elitist or anything, I just had my share of cheap alcohol in my youth and now I just want something smooth and good tasting and most of the cheap ones are neither. Any recommendation of a good triple sec? I  will certainly pick up the Napolean and the Cointreau as well and do comparison of each recipe using each one and see which I prefer. As you can see, this will be a long process, lol, as certainly I won't be doing all this testing in one night! Smiley Wink

LOL good thing about the napoleon, the cointrea, and the grand marnier......they all work with orange juice for brunch or they are good for sipping. Smiley LOL

for me, the cheaper alcohols give me a BAD headache a few hours later. even if i only have one drink!

@HappyDaze

if you want a more "traditional" triple sec, try the patron citronage.....that is pretty good also. i think they are also making it in a lime flavor now!

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server900/b0811/products/2295/images/3529/patroncitronge__19715.1380914196.1280.1280.JPG?c=2

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze

I think all that cheap stuff we consumed as youth, clouded the quality vs quantity factor for us and we have to re-think the "wisdom" of our youth!   We have about 3 prominent brands of triple sec that you can find on about store shelf, one of them being Hiram Walker=I can't remember the names of the other 2.  If the store is out of Hiram, I go to another store or change my drink menu.  I don't know if it is the best-just the best to our tastebuds compared to the other 2 readily available.  If there are other brands that others prefer, I'm all about learning about them.  That is why I am on a mission to try to find the Napoleon Mandarin Orange!  One thing is sure-everyone tastes things differently or there wouldn't be so many varieties of bourbon, tequila, whiskey, beer, wine, etc.  It really is a taste test for you to find what you like best.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

This has been a fun and interesting thread, thanks ladies! I love all the suggestions!