Respected Contributor

Banana Sour Cream Cake

[ Edited ]

If I say so myself, this made a deliciously moist and very attractive two layer cake.  It might be worth considering for Easter dinner.

Banana Sour Cream Cake
QVC Recipe Swap | August 2011  | Recipe Exchange | by YouGoGirl

Cake:

1 yellow cake mix*
3 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas, about 3 bananas 
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup oil

Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
16 oz. (4 cups) powdered sugar

Garnish:

1 cup walnuts, finely chopped

Heat oven to 350º.

Beat cake mix, eggs, bananas, sour cream & oil with mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Pour into a greased & floured 13x9-inch cake pan. Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

For frosting beat cream cheese & butter with mixer on medium speed until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well after each addition.

Mrs. G’s notes:   I baked the cake in two layers for 35 minutes.

We had coffee ice cream with this.  

Edited because I forgot to mention that I pressed the chopped walnuts all around the sides of the cake.  Woman Embarassed

* Following is the recommended ‘fix’ for using the new, smaller boxes in older recipes; however, I had an opened yellow mix in the refrigerator, so I just added 6 Tablespoons of it to the batter.

Solution to smaller boxes of cake mix: The Cake Mix Doctor, Anne Byrn, wrote, “If you are finicky about baking and have a kitchen scale, weigh out 1.75 ounces of flour and add it to the bowl. • No scale? Measure 6 tablespoons flour and add it to the bowl. • Not so picky? Add somewhere between 1/3 and ½ cup flour to the cake mix before adding other ingredients. • No flour? Bake the smaller mixes in 8-inch instead of 9-inch layers and you will have taller layers.”

http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/p/858684/7395522.aspx

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Sounds wonderful!  I could go for a slice right now! Smiley Happy