Not applicable

Anyone have the classic skinner lasagna recipe??

I'm looking for the classic lasagna recipe that used to be on the box, not the easy one that is now used. The classic recipe made the sauce from scratch didn't call for jar sauce. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have the classic skinner lasagna recipe??

I noticed you've gotten no responses and I'm sorry that I don't have the Skinner recipe either. But, recently I made this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Worlds-Best-Lasagna/

I really liked this sauce! BUT, please read some of the reviews as there seems to be a consensus on using LESS SALT. That is what I did. I made a few other changes, too. I used more garlic cloves as I love garlic. I was going to use 14oz. crushed and 14oz. diced tomatoes instead of the 28oz. crushed that is called for. I like a little chunk in my sauce. I could not find a 14oz. can of crushed, so I used a 28oz. crushed, plus 14oz. diced. It was fine. I also used cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese cause I just like that better. And I tried a tip from the reviews. Instead of boiling the lasagna noodle, let them sit in a pan of very hot water for 30 minutes. It will soften them just enough and it worked great. I will never boil the noodles again. In fact, I let them sit in the pan that I was going to make the lasagna in so I had one less dish to clean up. I can't think of any other major changes I made right now, but if I do, I will let you know.

This does make a LOT of sauce. I just bought the ingredients to make this a second time. It's just hubby and me, so I think I will use some sauce the first night to put over spaghetti. And then with what is left, I will make a slightly smaller lasagna dish.

HTH!

Respected Contributor

There are several lasagna recipes posted on the Skinner web site that make the sauce from scratch. Here's one, for example. If this isn't he one you're looking for, check out the other recipess on the the Skinner website.

Baked Lasagna

Servings: 5

Total Time: 110 mins

Ingredients:

2 Tbsps olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped or pressed
1 lb ground beef
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
12 oz water
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp basil
9 sheets SKINNER Lasagna, uncooked
Non-stick cooking spray
1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese), divided
½ lb. mozzarella cheese, shredded , divided
6 Tbsps Parmesan cheese, grated, divided

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large skillet over medium heat sauté onion and garlic in oil. Add meat and brown. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper and basil. Simmer 1 hour. Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain. Pat pasta dry and lay flat on a cookie sheet. Coat a 7 x 11-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place three pieces of pasta on bottom of dish. Top with 1/3 meat sauce, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Bake 30 minutes. Cover with foil and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Trusted Contributor

Does this sound like it?

Boop

Baked Lasagna

Ingredients:

8 ounces PRINCE LASAGNA

8 ounces ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)

Meat Sauce (see recipe below)

1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese, grated

6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated

MEAT SAUCE

1 lb. ground beef

2 tablespoons olive or salad oil

1 medium onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, chopped or pressed

1 (28 oz.) can tomatoes, chopped or mixed in blender for few seconds

1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste

12 ounces water

1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon basil

Boil PRINCE LASAGNA 10 minutes in 4 quarts water. Drain and rinse with cold water. If PRINCE LASAGNA is not to be used immediately,

let stand in cold water to keep strands separate. Grease baking dish (approximately 8x12’’) Pat PRINCE LASAGNA dry and arrange the

bottom of the baking dish with parallel rows of PRINCE LASAGNA. Cover with meat sauce, Ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese.

Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Cover with another layer of PRINCE LASAGNA, sauce and cheese until all is used.

Bake in 350° oven about 30 minutes. Cover with foil and let sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serves 4-6.

MEAT SAUCE Sauté onion and garlic in oil. Add meat and brown. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper and basil. Simmer 1 hour.

Trusted Contributor

This lady said she got from Skinner box years ago. Hope this it the one.

Boop

How To Make Lasagna

Print this recipe

What You Need

Ingredients

Pasta

1 pound dried lasagna noodles

Olive oil

Salt

Meat Sauce

1 1/4 pound (1 package) uncooked spicy pork or chicken sausage

1 pound ground beef

1 large onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

One 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, with their juice

One 12-ounce can tomato paste

One 28-ounce can tomato sauce

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Large pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)

2 teaspoons salt, divided

Cheese Layer

15 ounces ricotta cheese, drained

2 large eggs, beaten

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided

2 tablespoons olive oil

Small handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, minced

4 cups (2 packages) grated mozzarella cheese

Equipment

Extra-deep 13x9-inch baking dish (should be at least 3 inches deep!)

Baking spray or olive oil for greasing the pan

Large pasta pot

Towels for noodles

Colander

Deep sauté pan OR wide saucepan

Medium bowl

Instructions

1. Heat the oven to 425°F and lightly grease the baking pan with olive oil.

2. Place a large pot of water over high heat. Drizzle in a glug of olive oil and salt the water generously.

3. Bring to a boil, add the lasagna noodles, and bring back to a boil. Cook until the lasagna is al dente.

4. Drain and lay the noodles out on clean kitchen towels.

5. Place a large skillet over medium high heat.

6. Cut open the sausage casings (I like to use kitchen shears for this) and crumble the sausage. Crumble in the ground beef, and add all the meat to the skillet.

7. Cook, stirring frequently, until the beef is very well browned.

8. Meanwhile, finely chop the onion and the garlic.

9. Add the chopped onion and garlic to the skillet and turn down the heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, for another 10 minutes.

10. Take off the heat and drain most of the fat away from the meat.

11. Place back on the heat, and add the tomato paste. Cook for a couple minutes, stirring it into the meat.

12. Crush the plum tomatoes in the can, and then add them with their juices, as well as the tomato sauce, into the meat. Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer for at least 15 minutes, while you prepare the cheese layer. When you take the sauce off the heat, stir in 1 teaspoon of salt and some freshly ground black pepper.

13. In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, beaten eggs, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, olive oil, and minced parsley in a large bowl.

14. Count your noodles. You will need four layers of noodles total. It is best to start and finish with wider layers, so if you have less than 16 noodles, put your extra noodles in the bottom or top layers. (For the purposes of this recipe, I'll assume you have 15 noodles.) Line the bottom of the prepared baking dish with 4 cooked lasagna noodles, overlapping them.

15. Spread one-third of the ricotta mixture on top.

16. Spread about one-third of the meat sauce on top of that.

17. Sprinkle with about 1 cup of grated mozzarella and top with another 3 noodles. Repeat layering the ricotta and meat sauce with the cheese. Repeat again with 3 noodles and another layer of ricotta, meat, and cheese.

18. Finish by topping the lasagna with 4 noodles — one crosswise and four lengthwise. Sprinkle any remaining mozzarella cheese on top of the noodles, as well as the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan. (At this point the lasagna may be covered and refrigerated for up to 48 hours. It may also be securely wrapped and frozen for up to a month.)

19. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.

20. Bake for 30 minutes.

21. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes. for Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.

Additional Notes:

• This recipe is adapted from my own recipe from my book, Not Your Mother's Casserole Cookbook, which will be published by Harvard Common Press in January 2011.

• This lasagna can be made up to a day ahead, then covered and refrigerated. It can also be frozen, before baking. If you freeze it, let the lasagna thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking it, then bake as directed above. If you don't have time to let it thaw, reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees, and bake for an additional half an hour, or until the center is steaming hot.

• This recipe feeds 6 to 8 people.

I got this recipe off the Skinner box circa 1983
1 16 oz box lasagna noodles
1 lb ground chuck
½ lb Italian sausage
½ c chopped onions
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 28 oz can tomatoes (3½ cups)
2 6 oz cans tomato paste
½ c water
1 tsp salt
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp basil
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
4 c (2 lb) Ricotta
2 c (8 oz ) Mozzarella cheese
¼ c grated parmesan cheese
¼ c chopped parsley
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper

Sauté beef, sausage,onions, and garlic in oil. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt, oregano, basil, and red pepper; simmer covered for 1 hour. Cook lasagna; drain. Combine Ricotta, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, parsley, eggs, salt, and pepper for filling. Pour about ½ cup sauce on bottom of 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles lengthwise over sauce, overlapping edges. Spread ⅓ of cheese filling over noodles and cover with 1½ cups sauce. Repeat layers of lasagna, filling, and sauce twice. top with layer of lasagna and remaining sauce. Cover with foil; Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove foil, bake for 10 minutes longer. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
Trusted Contributor

@Cindy61, Thanks for posting your recipe.  I noticed that this is another one of the "Mystery Posts" from back in 2014:

Anyone have the classic skinner lasagna recipe??

01-27-2014 10:06 AM

[Insert Theme Music from "The Twilight Zone" here ......]

Honored Contributor

My life as some dull boring days in it but not enough to go back and dig up 2014 posts for fun.  Would rather spend my time cooking then eating the results.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I love Lasagna so I'm following this Thread.