Honored Contributor

Anyone have a good pizza crust and/or sauce recipe?

I don't really want a packaged or jar versions as I am trying to makehealthier options.

I've tried a few different pizza crust recipes and most I just don't like.We prefer a traditional (a bit crispy on the outside but somewhat chewy on the inside or thin crust, not a thick crust.

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a good pizza crust and/or sauce recipe?

Do you think store-bought sauces contain too much sodium?

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I don't really want a packaged or jar versions as I am trying to makehealthier options.

I've tried a few different pizza crust recipes and most I just don't like.We prefer a traditional (a bit crispy on the outside but somewhat chewy on the inside or thin crust, not a thick crust.

TIA!

Mine is simple.  Good canned tomatoes such as San Marzano, or boxed chopped tomatoes, also from Italy.  I add a bit of sugar, dried oregano,  extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt.  It doesn't have to be cooked, just put on the dough and add toppings or not.

Valued Contributor

I keep it easy and simple....buy a ball of pizzza dough at Trader Joes and their pizza sauce and add whatever toppings we feel like. It's pretty good Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We love to make our own pizzas, and are happiest with refrigerated crust and Ragu sauce, plus our own toppings.  This area has 7 pizza shops, and all do great business, but we are bored with all pizzeria style pizzas, and like our simple pizzas better.   

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Do you think store-bought sauces contain too much sodium?

Yeah, from the ones I looked up they were a bit too much for what I need to make sure we stay under.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

We love to make our own pizzas, and are happiest with refrigerated crust and Ragu sauce, plus our own toppings.  This area has 7 pizza shops, and all do great business, but we are bored with all pizzeria style pizzas, and like our simple pizzas better.   

I really enjoy homemade pizzas too, they are a nice change.

Thanks for the suggestions. What is a brand of refrigerated crust? I'd like to look those up. I can't do Ragu sauce though- too much sodium and I don't like to use sauce with added sugar or corn syrup.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

TIA!

My favorite crust so far is a recipe from Teresa Guidice's first cookbook, before we knew she was a crook, lol.  It is so easy, requires rapid rise yeast, quick,  and makes a thin, crispy crust with bubbles.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

TIA!

Mine is simple.  Good canned tomatoes such as San Marzano, or boxed chopped tomatoes, also from Italy.  I add a bit of sugar, dried oregano,  extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt.  It doesn't have to be cooked, just put on the dough and add toppings or not.

@mousiegirlThat seems simple enough! do you leave the tomatos chopped or do you blend them for a smoother consistency? Do you have a dough you'd recommend?

Honored Contributor

@HB glamma I didn't know TJ's had either of those. I will check them out tomorrow when I go. I tried their spaghetti sauce recently and it had to be the worst spaghetti sauce I've ever had (how can you go so wrong???)! I love alot of their things but yikes that was horrible. I am assuming the pizza dough is in the refrigerated section?