Respected Contributor

Anyone eat cloud bread?

[ Edited ]

I saw this on Pinterest and curious if anyone eats cloud bread? I have never tried it but plan to make some as it does not seem expensive or difficult to make.

Cloud Bread

Ingredients
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • 3 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
  • ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon sweetener

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Mix together egg yolks, cream cheese and sweetener in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks are formed, about 5-6 minutes.
  4. Gently fold in cream cheese mixture. Try not to deflate the egg whites.
  5. Scoop batter onto prepared baking sheet, into even rounds, about the size of a hamburger bun.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
  7. Transfer bread to wire rack and let cool.

http://cinnamonandtoast.com/pillowy-light-cloud-bread/

Honored Contributor

Interesting - a bread without flour!  I haven't heard of cloud bread, though i bet it's delicious.

Respected Contributor

I saw a recipe for this on Mr. Food's diabetic e-mails: I don't know why I haven't made this yet-but it's on my agenda now! That would make a really nice little sandwich or French toast-ooh-la-la! Thanks for posting!

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy
Poodlepet2
Regular Contributor

I've heard that being called "Oopsie Bread" in the Low Carb world.  But I have not made it yet. 

I usually buy Mission's low carb/Carb Control tortillas and use that in place of bread (the smaller sized ones, not the big ones). 

Trusted Contributor

Seems more like a cookie than a bread. 

Honored Contributor

Is sure looks tasty.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Atkins low carb diets had a bread very similar to this in the mid 70's.  When chewing they were about the density of heavy meringue.

Honored Contributor

It's very popular lately, I'd like to try it, I like this one:

Rosemary Cloud Bread

Bake

Rosemary Cloud Bread

Ingredients:

• 3 cage-free eggs, separated
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 3 Tablespoons dairy-free cream cheese, room temperature (or regular cream cheese, or sour cream, or whole-milk ricotta cheese)
  • 1/2 dropper of liquid stevia (or one packet stevia or 1 teaspoon honey)
  • dried rosemary

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300° and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Separate three eggs. Mix 3 yolks, cream cheese, and sweetener together by hand or by mixer until blended well. Whisk together 3 egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold yolk mixture into egg white mixture carefully and spoon onto parchment-lined sheets. Sprinkle rosemary on top. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. (Watch time carefully as all ovens and cookie sheets differ).

http://www.bodyrebooted.com/2015/06/15/rosemary-cloud-bread/

Super Contributor

That looks amazing!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone eat cloud bread?

[ Edited ]

Way back in the 1970's, when the Atkins diet first came out, he had  a recipe for somehting like this in his book..minus the sweetener..I used to make it, it was kind of meringue-y and would sort of shatter when you bit into it..