Respected Contributor

@eddyandme

You are welcome and I hope that you get a chance to make it.  We haven't had it in a long time so thanks to you we will be having it some time next week.  Oh, the "Newmans Sockaroni" is really good.  It has green peppers and onions in it. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think chop suey has anything at all to do with tomato sauce or beans. Why are people here confusing chili and chop suey? Chop suey is asian inspired - chili is mexican inspired.

Super Contributor

@toria wrote:

I actually could kind of make it off the top of my head...brown small cubes of beef and pork, add finely chopped onions and saute. Add garlic or garlic powder.  Add chopped celery and either fresh or canned mushrooms drained.  Add sliced water chestnuts.  (optional bamboo shoots or bena sprouts).  Add beef stock and soy sauce.and cook until meat is tender.  Thicken sauce with cornstarch slurry.  Serve over rice.  Anyway the recipe goes something like that.

My Mom made it this very way as I do today.  I like this version of chop suey better than the Chinese restaurant version.  

We considered goulash to be noodles with ground beef and tomatoes never to be confused with chop suey.  

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Respected Contributor

@151949

She is looking for a dish that her mom used to make and it is called "American Chop Suey".  I do not know why it is called that but it is a New England recipe.  She did mention what is in it and it follows through with the New England "American Chop Suey" recipe.

Respected Contributor

I love chop suey. Its not a chili or a goulash.  Its American-Chinese mostly veges like cabbage and water chestnuts, those little corn conb looking things,  with some meat. I love this stuff but Most asian restaurants question me whenever I try to order  LOL   But as a kid I got it all the time.  I

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

I love chop suey. Its not a chili or a goulash.  Its American-Chinese mostly veges like cabbage and water chestnuts, those little corn conb looking things,  with some meat. I love this stuff but Most asian restaurants question me whenever I try to order  LOL   But as a kid I got it all the time.  I

I agree - this is what I call chop suey. I still make it for us - I buy a can of chinese vegetables - some thin sliced little steaks I slice up, beef broth, soy sauce, garlic, onion, ginger and thicken with cornstarch. Serve over rice.

Valued Contributor

My Mom and Aunt born and raised in Rhode Island both made American chop Suey (and that's what it's called in New England).  They made the hamburger/onion/salt/pepper/garlic powder mixture and then added to a canned Franco American spaghetti.   After years I found one store that still sells the canned spaghetti.   Everyone once in a while I make myself this old time comfort food

Esteemed Contributor

Re: American Chop Suey

[ Edited ]

American chop suey is an American pasta dish popular in New England.  It is related to other popular and similarly regional pasta dishes, like chili mac.

Despite its name, it has only a very distant relation to Chinese and American Chinese cuisine.

Standard American chop suey consists of elbow macaroni and bits of cooked ground beef with sautéed onions and green peppers in a thick tomato-based sauce. 

The dish is typically cooked in a frying or sauté pan, as opposed to being baked in an oven like a casserole.

Though this comfort food is influenced by Italian-American cuisine as well as older New England quick and practical meals it is known as "American chop suey" both because it is a sometimes-haphazard hodgepodge of meat, vegetables and Italian seasonings, and because it once used rice, a base ingredient in Chinese cuisine, instead of pasta.

The recipe is quite adaptable to taste and available ingredients. Elbow macaroni is the standard but can be substituted with pasta of similar size, such as ziti, farfalle, or rotelle.

The onions or green peppers may be omitted, or replaced with mushrooms. Whole, diced, or crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste are typical sauce bases for this dish. Black pepper, herbs and Worcestershire sauce are sometimes used in preparation.

American chop suey is served on a plate or in a bowl, usually accompanied by bread and often Worcestershire sauce.

Sometimes grated Parmesan cheese is added after cooking.

As long as you put any/all of these ingredients in the same pot and cook, it is "American chop suey" in some areas of the USA!

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I don't think chop suey has anything at all to do with tomato sauce or beans. Why are people here confusing chili and chop suey? Chop suey is asian inspired - chili is mexican inspired.

It's a  phrase that means different things in different parts of the country. Regional.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@151949

"Chop Suey" has never been Asian, it's an American invented dish.

What you are reading about, "American Chop Suey" is a dish from the 1950s and was always called "American Chop Suey." no one here is confusing anything.

Google "American Chop Suey" and you will see A LOT of recipes for it and references to it being popular in the 50s.  People here are aware of that.