Esteemed Contributor

Can't find my Mum's American Chop Suey recipe.  IMHO, she made the best!

Was wondering if any of you could share your recipe with me.  Thanx!

Honored Contributor

I hope you find it.

I call it chili mac, I never make it the same way twice depending on the ingredients available.    My family likes it similar to a soupy chili, with the pasta

@eddyandme wrote:

Can't find my Mum's American Chop Suey recipe.  IMHO, she made the best!

Was wondering if any of you could share your recipe with me.  Thanx!

Esteemed Contributor

@software

Just googled it and guess American Chop Suey is a New England name.  It's called various names throughout the country, often goulash!

Know the basics, just wishing I new the exact seasonings that made it so good!

Thanx.

Valued Contributor

My grandmother made this.  It was not goulash or chili.  It was made of both small cubes of beef and pork and had onions, celery and some chinese vegetables in it like water chestnuts.  It was in a brown gravy and served over rice.  I probably have the recipe somewhere.  It was good comfort food.  I have not made it in a long time.  Its good because you can make it and freeze it in small portions.

Valued Contributor

I actually could kind of make it off the top of my head...brown small cubes of beef and pork, add finely chopped onions and saute. Add garlic or garlic powder.  Add chopped celery and either fresh or canned mushrooms drained.  Add sliced water chestnuts.  (optional bamboo shoots or bena sprouts).  Add beef stock and soy sauce.and cook until meat is tender.  Thicken sauce with cornstarch slurry.  Serve over rice.  Anyway the recipe goes something like that.

Trusted Contributor

@eddyandme...What did your mom put in hers? There are so many variations. My mom never had a name for it-I wasn't crazy about it and called it "noodle junk". I do make it now with a little variation. My mom used hamburger, onion and bell pepper, stewed tomatoes and elbow mac. I use more seasonings I think-garlic, etc. and I like bowtie pasta instead of elbows. The Food Network website has a recipe for American Chop Suey that is highly rated.

Esteemed Contributor

@daisyk

She never used stewed tomatoes.  Wish I knew the spices and believe she used a sauce like Ragu?  It was nice and tasty and had added cheddar cheese baked into it - yum!

I think I might try it with a little of taco seasoning.  All I can tell you we had the pepper. onions, ground beef and mac but unsure of her saesonings.  Thanx.

Trusted Contributor

@eddyandme..Your mom's sounds better-Smiley Happy I like the cheddar cheese addition! Sounds a lot like a chili mac-hopefully someone will have a better idea of seasonings!

Esteemed Contributor

@daisyk wrote:

@eddyandme..Your mom's sounds better-Smiley Happy I like the cheddar cheese addition! Sounds a lot like a chili mac-hopefully someone will have a better idea of seasonings!

@daisyk

Thanx.  My Mum was an excellent cook!  I did find one seems somewhat similar when I googled on "A Family Feast" for American Chop Suey, in case you're interested.

Respected Contributor

Aww..hope you find it. My mom has been gone for 20 years and I've not had this dish since. She called it Slumgullion which i think was an irish nickname for the beef-a-roni/chili-Mac concoction. Yes, Paula Deen calls it goulash.

Great for cold weather. Wow hadn't thought about this in a while! Thx..