Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

I love chop suey. Its not a chili or a goulash.  Its American-Chinese mostly veges like cabbage and water chestnuts, those little corn conb looking things,  with some meat. I love this stuff but Most asian restaurants question me whenever I try to order  LOL   But as a kid I got it all the time.  I

@kcladyz

They question you because most Chinese have never heard of Chop Suey, it's an American invention.

Honored Contributor

@151949

EXAMPLES:

this recipe for American Chop Suey - A Family Feast

www.afamilyfeast.com/american-chop-suey/
1 hr 15 min
May 21, 2014 - American Chop Suey - A classic New England dish, made just a little healthier - but still super delicious!

American Chop Suey II | "This is an old family recipe. My family loves it. It's quick and easy. Elbow macaroni and ground beef are combined in a tomatoey sauce.

Feb 15, 2016 - To make American Chop Suey Casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees ... Old-Fashioned Baked Macaroni and Cheese | Yankee Recipe ...

Results 1 - 10 of 108 - AMERICAN CHOP SUEY. Cook hamburger, onion and garlic together until done. Cook celery until tender, 15-20 minutes. Cook macaroni ...
Simple American Chop Suey / American Goulash Recipe by Amy ...

https://cookpad.com/.../recipes/366655-simple-american-chop-suey-amer...

Great recipe for Simple American Chop Suey / American Goulash. With this recipe you can tweak it however you like. Try it with ground turkey or sausage.

Save

Honored Contributor

What you guys are calling American chop suey in Pittsburgh we call it dirt & worms.

Honored Contributor

@151949

Most of America knows "Dirt and Worms" to be a dessert combination, usually for children, of pudding or cake topped with crushed Oreos or other chocolate cookies with gummy worms sticking out.

Lots or recipes for those are also available.

EXAMPLE:

dirt and worms

Esteemed Contributor

@luvsbulldogs wrote:

@eddyandme

I live in New England and have been here for almost 40 years and have seen many variations of American Chop Suey.  I make mine with the seasonings right in the sauce that I now buy.  Here is how I make mine.

I saute some green peppers and also a sliced or chopped onion and then add the chopped meat and brown.  Then I add "Newmans Sockaroni Sauce" to the drained meat, peppers and onions and also a can of "Hunts petite diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano".  In another pot I have the elbow macaroni cooking.  Drain the elbow macaroni when done al dente and then place back in the pot and add the meat mixture to it.  Stir and heat all together and serve.  If you want you can add some cheddar cheese to the top of each plate.

My daughter also adds bulk Italian sausage and fresh mushrooms to her mixture to brown.

I hope that this helps you.

Here ya go I edited it to make it more readable....lol.

AMERICAN CHOP SUEY

1 ½ lbs. of 92% ground beef

1 lb. Italian sausage – bulk package

Newmans  Sockaroni  Sauce

1 Green pepper - chopped

1 Onion - sliced or chopped

Hunts petite diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano

Fresh sliced mushrooms

Elbow macaroni

Saute chopped green pepper and chopped or sliced onion and mushrooms

Add ground beef and brown

Add the Hunts Sauce and the Newmans Sockaroni Sauce and heat till hot.

Meanwhile cook the elbow macaroni till al dente

Drain the elbows and add to the sauce mixture

Picked up the Sockarooni today - using your recipe - thanks!

@luvsbulldogs

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@luvsbulldogs wrote:

@eddyandme

I live in New England and have been here for almost 40 years and have seen many variations of American Chop Suey.  I make mine with the seasonings right in the sauce that I now buy.  Here is how I make mine.

I saute some green peppers and also a sliced or chopped onion and then add the chopped meat and brown.  Then I add "Newmans Sockaroni Sauce" to the drained meat, peppers and onions and also a can of "Hunts petite diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano".  In another pot I have the elbow macaroni cooking.  Drain the elbow macaroni when done al dente and then place back in the pot and add the meat mixture to it.  Stir and heat all together and serve.  If you want you can add some cheddar cheese to the top of each plate.

My daughter also adds bulk Italian sausage and fresh mushrooms to her mixture to brown.

I hope that this helps you.

Here ya go I edited it to make it more readable....lol.

AMERICAN CHOP SUEY

1 ½ lbs. of 92% ground beef

1 lb. Italian sausage – bulk package

Newmans  Sockaroni  Sauce

1 Green pepper - chopped

1 Onion - sliced or chopped

Hunts petite diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano

Fresh sliced mushrooms

Elbow macaroni

Saute chopped green pepper and chopped or sliced onion and mushrooms

Add ground beef and brown

Add the Hunts Sauce and the Newmans Sockaroni Sauce and heat till hot.

Meanwhile cook the elbow macaroni till al dente

Drain the elbows and add to the sauce mixture

Picked up the Sockarooni today - using your recipe - thanks!

@luvsbulldogs

@eddyandme

I am glad to hear that you found the Sockaroni!  I hope that you enjoy the recipe and that it brings back many fond memories!  Please let me know if you liked it.  We are having ours today.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvsbulldogs

Made and American Chop Suey and it came out very well.  Not quite as good as my mother's but pretty darn close.

Thanks for your help!

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme

So glad you got a chance to make it and that you liked it.  Perhaps you can make changes to it  now that you have tasted it so that it is closer to how your mother made it.