Trusted Contributor

It's always nice to take a dish to a potluck & have it go over really well. Yesterday I made a recipe that is new to me for a potluckk--strawberry pretzel salad. You can google the recipe or get it on Pinterest like I did. Anyway, it was eaten really fast so I plan on making it again. I did use no-salt pretzels in the base layer, but will try pretzels with salt next time. It's a very pretty salad with its 3 layers as well as being yummy. So anyway, I will definitely be making this again.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for sharing!  I will definitely google the recipe since my husband loves both pretzels & strawberries!  :-)

Honored Contributor

This is an older receipe and just delicious.

Honored Contributor

I have had this and agree.....delicious!  It is a winner with adults and children.  I have the recipe but have not fixed it ......yet!  Now I am hungry for it!

Respected Contributor

I make it now and then, too.  I think of it as a dessert.

Honored Contributor

@nomless

I just googled this and I agree - I would definitely consider this a dessert.  

Trusted Contributor

OP here. I would agree that it could fit in either category. And I put it out with the salads & no one argued. I used lots & lots of strawberries so that there was a mouthful in every bite.

Honored Contributor

Re: A potluck salad hit!!

[ Edited ]

We've made this for years.

I LOVE it!!!

But I prefer using raspberries and raspberry jello.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@nomless

I just googled this and I agree - I would definitely consider this a dessert.  

@DiAnne, if you haven't had it and if you don't mind some unhealthy ingredients, give it a try.  It's easy to make and very good.  Sweet/salty and crunchy/creamy...yum.  Very refreshing on  hot sumer day. 

Esteemed Contributor

Strawberry Pretzel salad/dessert is one of my all-time favorites. It's a fairly old recipe but it's always delicious. You need the salted pretzels though - the salt goes well with the sweetness of the strawberries and jello. Excellent recipe for anyone who hasn't tried it! All of the big recipe websites have the recipe, but here is mine:

Crust:

2 1/2 cups crushed salted prezels

1 stick butter, melted

3 Tbsp. sugar

2nd layer:

1 - 8 oz. package cream cheese

1 - 8 oz carton Cool Whip

1/2 cup sugar

3rd layer:

2 small packages strawberry jello

2 cups water

2 small boxes frozen strawberries (thawed and drained)

Crust: Mix crushed pretzels, melted better and sugar together and press in 9 x 13 pan. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees and cool.

2nd layer: Mix softened cream cheese and sugar together with electric mixer on medium and then fold in Cool Whip. Spread over the cooled crust. Refrigerate for an hour.

3rd layer: Boil water and add jello - stir, and then add strawberries. Refrigerate for at least an hour until partially set, and then spead over cream cheese mixture.

Option - add a few chopped or sliced fresh strawberries on top before serving.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.