Regular Contributor

First cruise....clothing ideas ????

Cruising to Carribean in January...11 days...  I have casual covered but concerned about "smart casual" and formal dinners.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: First cruise....clothing ideas ????

[ Edited ]

I've been on cruises and casual (to me anyway) is nice pants and shirt. I don't wear dresses or skirts. Kind of like you would wear to work. For formal nights I always wore black pants and a slightly sparkley top and flats. You don't have to do formal nights if you don't want to. Remember, you don't want to overpack so leave the gowns and heels home.  The brochure isn't a good representation of what really happens.  You might see one or two people in gowns but that is it. They won't kick you out of the dining room just because you aren't dressed to the nines. You don't want to wear to high of a heel in case the ship hits large waves causing you to trip. You don't need to get all gussied up just for a dinner. I personally don't find it fun to get all dressed up for a couple of hours, nor do I want to spend money on something I will never wear again just to eat. I would rather just wear normal clothes. There were times when we chose to eat on the lido deck just so we didn't have to get dressed up after being out all day sightseeing. Enjoy your trip.

Frequent Contributor

Just finished a cruise to Alaska.  As for attire, most people wore Sunday type clothes for evening dinner in the dining room and for the gala nights, some wore the same, and some wore nice slacks or skirt with sparkly tops.  Heels are not necessary.  I wore sparkly Mark Fischer sandals.  Have a great time!

Honored Contributor

I found most people wore nice casual clothes. Most men wore golf type shirts and khaki type pants. And I wore an outfit similar to what I would wear at work. Nice pants, knit top and button down shirt.  Now on formal nights - there were always people in tuxs and gowns. But I was not going to waste any space in my luggage to do that. I always wore dress black pants and a jacket or dressy top. And that was just fine too.

In fact there were a few times that we just got back on the boat in time for dinner. We did a quick change and clean up and went to dinner. You are going to a casual beachy spot - so I think casual will be just fine.

Have fun.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Suzy Q from PA wrote:

Cruising to Carribean in January...11 days...  I have casual covered but concerned about "smart casual" and formal dinners.

Please go to Cruise Critic http://boards.cruisecritic.com/ and find your cruise Company. Please read the board,signup and ask questions.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/41240332/ns/travel-cruise_travel/t/what-wear-cruise-line-dress-codes-expla...

The dress code is different for cruise lines, and destinations.

Honored Contributor

@Suzy Q from PA You might also post on the Travel Chat thread in Among Friends forum. Many of those people have taken cruises and should be able to help you, if you still have questions. Smiley Happy

Have a great and exciting cruise! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cruise once a year.  So far the Carribean, but two times to Alaska.  Each cruise line does have their own rules on formal night, some don't even have them at all.  Formal clothing tends to be heavy especially for the men.  So step one, contact the cruiseline or the person who booked  your tours (if that is the way you set it up).  

Here is what I do:  1.  I pack one garment bag on wheels.  2.  I pack one hard sided expandable suitcase  3.  I pack one wheeled duffle (small).  I check all my bags on the airline (What can I  say, I fly only Southwest)!  This is for both of us.  So you could say I fly light.  4.  I have one folding tote bag that I can take out of my suitcase for extras that I buy.  Most of my luggage comes from Ebags online.  That means I have packing cubes, and all kinds of accessories that allow me to organize my luggage.

I wear slip on shoes as in Sketchers.  I take one pair of really nice black shoes for dress, usually Clarks.  I select two main colors and one accent.  I will take in December the colors black, white and red (accent)  I can mix and match.       

I have one pair of flowing cargo pants, in black... Lisa Rinna.  I bring one black skirt, A-line and rather silky.  Then comes my fancy tops, sparkly, one in black, one in red this time around.  I also bring a sun dress and wear a shrug with it.  Again this time I have a red, black, white floral.  This covers my formal night.s.  ( I might even bring my patent red shoes along for accent.  

For the day and tours off the ship:  I wear cargo pants which have pockets.  Mine are from QVC (Susan Graver -- As IS of course).  I wear a light weight vest with pockets as well (If I am going ashore).  I carry a tote bag to stuff goodies that I buy.  I don't wear a handbag or purse.  I do have a fanny pack that is magnetic that holds my phone or ID  or something I need fast.  It has no strap, it goes over my pants (waist) and locks in place.  My tops are simple and again in my red, black and white colors.  And I do buy one tee shirt aboard from the cruise or on shore that is symbolic of my trip.   I DO NOT WEAR SHORTS IN CASE YOU ARE WONDERING.

I  might also bring white capris along, I will not wear color on the bottom.  And I do bring one bathing suit to sit by the pool and watch hubby swim.  I am petrified of water so I do not swim.  My coverup is soft and tunic like, which can be worn as pajamas or belted with slacks.  

As for hubby, simple.  Slacks (2) pairs, another black pair for formal.  I bring him two banded color shirts and one regular collar. One tie. We dance every evening so we have to wear appropriate attire.  Square and round dancing -ballroom.  And he has the same color match as me.  What can I say dancing has influenced me.  

In the past he has worn a black western jacket.. very formal.  For casual,  shirts with pockets and collars (tee shirts from the Blair catalog). He also brings one pair of black shoes and then wears one pair of athletic shoes.  (our cruises are ALWAYS  booked by our marvelous square dance caller from Florida--- we live in Maryland however so communication is most important.  

Hope I have not rambled too much.  I do love love love cruisin' and hope you have a great time.  

Valued Contributor

Wow I am ready for my first cruise. You all are inspiring me.
Valued Contributor

Yes.  Dressy or flowing black pants and a dressy top of jacket maybe a sparkly one and add some jewelry.  A skirt if you don't like pants.  I am going on a cruise to England this coming June.  I'll be bringing my Susan Graver liquid knits and similar kinds of fabrics as they are the greatest packable washable clothes ever.  Can just be washed out by hand, rolled in a towel and hung to dry.  I won't be bringing any cotton or denim or heavy fabrics.  I'll bring of course a sweater or two and a jacket for cooler temps