Honored Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:
TY1, Thanks for remembering CRISP WHITE SHIRT. My question: Is every white shirt CRISP? Or only certain ones? Next time a presenter uses this phrase, can't somebody call in and ask where we can buy a white blouse that is CRISP. Maybe no one wants to say it's only a CLEAN white shirt. You can tell how much this grates on me!

I've been thinking about this phrase too, and decided to see if it was in a dictionary.  I found MacMillan Dictionary which says this:

crisp cloth or paper is smooth, clean, and fresh

He put on a crisp white shirt.

From Merriam Webster:

dry, hard, and easily broken

: pleasantly firm and making a sharp sound when chewed or crushed

: clean, smooth, and somewhat stiff

It seems rather odd, because if crisp means dry, hard and easily broken, how can it also mean smooth, clean and fresh? I guess if we went down the middle, it would be "clean, smooth, and somewhat stiff"!... And I don't want anything on my body that's even "somewhat stiff"! Smiley Happy

Someone else had mentioned that men wore crisp, white shirts back when they put extra starch in their shirts to make them stand up. 

I have a great casual tailored white shirt that I think of a "crisp" because, while it has a more luxurious relaxed weave, it holds it's shape really well... and that's why it's my favorite white shirt. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

I agree withthe Red carpet ....and all of what Chrystaltree had said.........enough already

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

When someone uses "went" and did something: went and bought,went and changed,etc.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

OK.  I just posted on another thread:   adorable.  Adorable?  Really? For grown women?  Isn't that something you should say about little kids?

Also, when people write "worse" when they mean "worst" and "advise" when they mean "advice".  Ok.  I feel better!  Even if I felt worse it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.  So what would you advise me to do?  I appreciate any advice I could get.  Woman Wink  (Now don't say SHUT UP! LOL!!!)

Respected Contributor

You girls are cracking me up!  May I add......

"Bullet proof" - I like Mally, but I get a bad visual when she says this.

"$1.00 a day on your credit card" - That actually will stop me from buying it.

Laura loves cats!
Super Contributor

prize point              event

Esteemed Contributor

There's one phrase I really dislike. It happens when someone acts badly, or foolishly, or inconsiderately, or self-destructively and then says, "I couldn't help it" or "I can't help it." That drives me nuts. It says to me that the person making the statement refuses to take any responsibility for doing something wrong. At least say "I'm sorry" after doing something foolish or wrong or dumb.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

OK.  I just posted on another thread:   adorable.  Adorable?  Really? For grown women?  Isn't that something you should say about little kids?

Also, when people write "worse" when they mean "worst" and "advise" when they mean "advice".  Ok.  I feel better!  Even if I felt worse it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.  So what would you advise me to do?  I appreciate any advice I could get.  Woman Wink  (Now don't say SHUT UP! LOL!!!)

I've seen "weather" used in place of "whether".

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Contributor

amazing

Ever watch a Kardashian show..it's amazing

Honored Contributor

"Spacious."

Every looky-lou on HGTV on any of their house-hunting shows, domestic or international, uses spacious instead of what most people would say, large, big, huge, etc. You know they've been prompted to use that word particularly and it just sounds so fake.

Yes, it is a word that isn't unusual and people do use it - but people from ALL socioeconomic backgrounds and areas do NOT commonly use it. And on these shows they also use the word much more often than you would in average conversation - *every* room is deemed "spacious" whether it is or not. Weird.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all