Honored Contributor

Re: Why does nobody on QVC seem to know

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a seafood fork.

And I'll do ya'll one better.  I don't even set the table for DH and myself.  We don't eat at our table ever.  We eat on tv trays while we watch tv.  There is just the 2 of us and I don't care.  That is what we enjoy.  No coordinating bowls, salad plates, glasses.  It doesn't interest us.  

I can set a table properly though and do if we are having company.      

Respected Contributor

I always set the table properly as far as the silverware.  The glasses, salad plate, etc., I still don't know!  When we go to a restaurant, we all look at each other wondering if we're taking the right ones.  I've looked it up many times and never remember.

Honored Contributor

Civility and manners do not rely on place settings.   They rely on a person's heart, on charity, kindness, respect for self & others, tolerance, generosity, forgiveness.  I'll take a person with these qualities over any place setting any day of the week.

I agree with the other poster.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  Sit back and relax.  In the big scheme of things, it's a tiny thing.   

Honored Contributor

I think that for most of society fancy table settings, and the right utensil in the right place (and facing the right way) has gone the way of cursive writing.

And while I don't see it making or breaking a career when bringing the boss home for dinner (does anyone do that anymore?), there are valid reasons why all the old ways (and stuffy things) should be at least known, even if they aren't used on a daily basis. 

Manners and etiquette skills are sorely lacking in this age, by people of all generations. One never knows the situations they may find themselves in as life progresses (heck, even dinner at the White House or with the queen.....who knows). 

Having certain things ingrained in your habits (saying please and thank you, knowing which fork is for what) is simple enough to teach young, then have as habit or knowledge for later in life, and will always serve you well. IT doesn't mean that you have to practice it everyday, but when you need it, it is there, and serves to, at the very least not embarrass you for lack of social skills, or at best, impress someone you may need to (your future mother in law...with your mad table setting skills!!).

So as stale as In the Kitchen has gotten, having Lenox or one of the flatware companies come on and show proper table setting techniques, and maybe some of the history behind them would be a very interesting and refreshing change of pace. I'd much rather see and hear that than the ice cream scoop and bending spoons yet again.

Honored Contributor

I never realized so many people think setting the table is such a hardship.  We're not talking ten course meal here, just dinner.  Dinner plate, napkin and fork on the left, knife and spoon on the right (when needed), beverage glass in front of, and to the right of the dinner plate.

Not much effort involved in that.

Valued Contributor

@mercyMe wrote:

Image result for proper place setting

Life is complicated enough .... I never understood "M" and "N" ... what are "they" used for? 

Is M and N used for dessert? 

Super Contributor

@Bri21 wrote:

@mercyMe wrote:

Image result for proper place setting

Life is complicated enough .... I never understood "M" and "N" ... what are "they" used for? 

Is M and N used for dessert? 

Yes the M & N is used for dessert.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although I have never invited the boss for dinner, I do host formal luncheon and dinner parties.  I derive great pleasure from putting out my pretty dishes, silver and crystal.  I like the fussiness of it all.  My holiday table does include M and N for dessert.

My mama taught me how to set the table.  I have found more elaborate place settings in the back of old cookbooks.  Of course, life will not end if you mix up the order of your flatware or use a salad fork to eat your main entree.  But presenting a well-set table to my family and guests is a mark of gentility I enjoy, and they do, too. 

My new additions to the table placesetting are those little cut-crystal knife rests at each place, so the table cloth stays clean.  For a special occassion, they are a nice little detail. 

I understand that many people live casual lives and it is not important to them.  To those of us who enjoy proper customs, a nicely set table is looking like a lost art.  My personal problem is that I have had old-fashioned sensibilities since I was a tot.  And if you know who Tasha Tudor is, you know she really had it bad!