Honored Contributor

Re: Why does nobody on QVC seem to know

@Kachina624   It is not important to me.  I do not sweat the small stuff if I can help it.  I could care less if a spoon is in the right place, or a fork.  If my job depends on THAT then I do not want that job.  

Honored Contributor

I think it's based on no one sitting around a dinner table much anymore. It's all Buffets where everyone brings something and the cutlery is plastic and sitting upright in a red cup.  

Not saying that formal dinners aren't important, they sure are in certain circumstances and @Kachina624 is right about Corporate dinners, especially really high level ones.  It's the impression you give the boss that when you do things, you will do them exceedingly well.... same thing with the Military elite and their wives... sheesh, glad I'm not part of any of that anymore.  

I also agree that on National TV, they need to do it right. There is often very practical reasons behind some of the "rules".... and cutting yourself on a very sharp knife when you went to absent mindedly grab for it was probably the reason for the placement eons ago.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@mercyMe I don't know what M and N is for either.  I would imagine that the particular place setting you show can only be found in 6 star restaurants.

I literally only referred to the very simple place setting on QVC which can be seen just before the show airs.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@makena  @SeaMaiden  It is important.   Civility and knowing how to do things in the scope of proper etiquette are what make a society run smoothly.   People are judged in business on their manners,  appropriate dress and behavior.   Knowing how to set a table when the boss comes to dinner could make or break a career.   Knowing how and when to use the utensils on the table is also important.   It's the responsibility of parents to teach their kids these things.  Kids that aren't taught turn into adults who have the manners of ravenous wolves.   Go to a restaurant and look around. 

Sure,  we're not formal with every meal but there are occasions where it's appropriate to practice, like holidays and special occasions.   Just knowing what's expected at formal occasions is enough.

More people than not don't know the formality of how to set a table.  I think it truly depends on who is coming for dinner.  But I think it's safe to say that most people don't entertain folks who would actually notice something like that.

For television, I would think it would be the norm to set a table properly.

I would drop the suggestion in Q's Suggestion Box along with a photo of 'how to'.

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyday people don't follow the etiquette rules.  It's not like we're dining at the White House or with the Queen of England. 

Hmm...  I set the table properly every night.  Everything placed correctly, all dishes, glassware and flatware coordinated.  I never thought of it as "following the etiquette rules", I just enjoy eating at a table that is inviting, and is "worthy" of the dinner I took time to make.

Respected Contributor

@makena wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyday people don't follow the etiquette rules.  It's not like we're dining at the White House or with the Queen of England. 

Thank goodness the " everyday people" I know do follow basic etiquette guidelines. Before I left my corporate job, though, younger people we were hiring often had terrible table manners. We frequently travelled, entertained customers, etc., so it mattered. We had to hire a manners coach to come in and do seminars. Ridiculous. And embarrassing fir those staffers. Where were their parents when they were growing up? 

Trusted Contributor

I think it is similar to a lost art!  Some guests seem intimidated by it now!  I just use the basics, salad fork, dinner fork, knife and spoon for coffee!  When I serve dessert I add the fork or spoon on the dish! Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Newgate

I think it is similar to a lost art! 

Like letter writing and before texting became the mode of communication, talking on the phone.  A lot of "what used to be" is no longer practiced as the world changes.  Kids are much less formal about everything.  Look at the way they dress.  Half of the new businesses are startups and people run around in flip flops.   Times they are a changing and you can get upset over it or just deal with it.  I just deal with it and as someone else said, they don't sweat the small stuff.  I don't either.  Life is too short.

New Contributor

Oh for goodness sake get out of your bubble. Most of us blue collar workers do good between work , children , and home to get everyone to sit down together for a meal. Most of us will never dine in a over the top fancy over priced restaurant or dine at the White House so get over it.

Honored Contributor

I don't care what color your collar is, setting a table correctly is not rocket science.