Respected Contributor

Why does nobody on QVC seem to know

anything about how to set the table?  When the ITKWD comes on the TV it always shows  place setting.  Someone just seems to have thrown the utensils there without any thought.  A knife should never be put there with the blade showing outward away from the plate.

Now I know there are different ways to set a table knife and fork on the right or on the left, but regardless the knife should always face inward.  A very sharp knife can hurt someone the way QVC does it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why does nobody on QVC seem to know

It seems like the young people today do not put importance on things like, the proper way to set a dining room table. It seems like QVC hires young people down the line, so they probably don't know how to set a table and don't think it's that important.

Super Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

anything about how to set the table?  When the ITKWD comes on the TV it always shows  place setting.  Someone just seems to have thrown the utensils there without any thought.  A knife should never be put there with the blade showing outward away from the plate.

Now I know there are different ways to set a table knife and fork on the right or on the left, but regardless the knife should always face inward.  A very sharp knife can hurt someone the way QVC does it.

@CLEMYep... they are all going to get seriously hurt... NOT!  Have you read the book by Richard Carlson, Do Not Sweat the Small Stuff, (and it is all small stuff)? 

Honored Contributor

I agree with @CLEM.   If they're going to sell flatware and show it on a set table,  it should be shown properly; its a display of ignorance to do otherwise.   It's not rocket science,  as there are I'm sure hundreds of websites that show the correct placement.   Whoever is in charge is lax in his/her duties in not seeing that it's done properly. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I'm pretty sure everyday people don't follow the etiquette rules.  It's not like we're dining at the White House or with the Queen of England. 

Honored Contributor

Because it is not important. Who cares?

Honored Contributor

@makena  @SeaMaiden  It is important.   Civility and knowing how to do things in the scope of proper etiquette are what make a society run smoothly.   People are judged in business on their manners,  appropriate dress and behavior.   Knowing how to set a table when the boss comes to dinner could make or break a career.   Knowing how and when to use the utensils on the table is also important.   It's the responsibility of parents to teach their kids these things.  Kids that aren't taught turn into adults who have the manners of ravenous wolves.   Go to a restaurant and look around. 

Sure,  we're not formal with every meal but there are occasions where it's appropriate to practice, like holidays and special occasions.   Just knowing what's expected at formal occasions is enough. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My post was not to point out the lack of etiquette rules.  I think people can cut themselves under certain circumstances.  Let's say a few people get together having fun and sitting down  and talking while waiting for the food to be served.  If the knife blade faces out it could be easy to just slide your hand/arm along the blade and get cut accidentally.  Especially children.

I know this is not dramatic, but why chance it.  Just turn the knife so the blade faces the dinner plate.

Valued Contributor

Image result for proper place setting

Life is complicated enough .... I never understood "M" and "N" ... what are "they" used for? 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@makena@  @SeaMaiden  It is important.   Civility and knowing how to do things in the scope of proper etiquette are what make a society run smoothly.   People are judged in business on their manners,  appropriate dress and behavior.   Knowing how to set a table when the boss comes to dinner could make or break a career.   Knowing how and when to use the utensils on the table is also important.   It's the responsibility of parents to teach their kids these things.  Kids that aren't taught turn into adults who have the manners of ravenous wolves.   Go to a restaurant and look around. 

Sure,  we're not formal with every meal but there are occasions where it's appropriate to practice, like holidays and special occasions.   Just knowing what's expected at formal occasions is enough. 

Civility is important and good manners matter, but fussy manners are not important to me. Knowing where the seafood fork goes is not important to me. The world will not end if someone uses the salad fork for an entree. 

We have many things to worry about now that we didn't before and little things like that have fallen by the wayside. If you are invited to a state dinner with the president, it's probably a good idea to brush up on those things. Otherwise, I think most of us have better things to do.