Honored Contributor

Re: Who is closing down the Q this Christmas ?

@Fribwl wrote:

I heard Jen Coffey say that she would closing on Christmas Eve and the last one out the door.

I thought I read she was going on vacation?

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Reever   Yeah right!  

Do you really think the hosts would want to spend Christmas Eve hanging around QVC to sing a Christmas carol to the viewers?

I would imagine the majority of viewers have family and friends that they would want to spend Christmas Eve with rather than watch QVC. Some go to church as well.

If you are alone, there are many wonderful movies to watch.  I doubt many people actually shop on Christmas Eve on QVC, but since QVC is an online retailer, they do the same as every other retailer....they are open for business and are looking to make sales.

It would be nice if QVC shut down early to give it's employees a night off on Christmas Eve.

@Carmie Lots of people have jobs that require them to work holidays.  It isn't like it's a holiday for everyone.  It's just life.  And some I'm sure don't celebrate Christmas, so that's fine with them.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Oh I know all about that.  My DH worked almost every holiday his whole career.  He was a police officer and worked the midnight shift.  

It never failed that someone called off sick for the early morning shift on holidays  and he had to work a double.  One Christmas Day as we were just sitting down to eat, he was called out for a triple homicide. He didn't come home for two days...he often went days without sleep.

My parents owned a family run restaurant.  The only day we were closed was Christmas Day.  We grew up taking turns working there on holidays such as Easter and New Year Day relieving one another so everyone could get dinner and at least spend some time with family at home.

I have three grown children...all three will be working full time hours on Christmas Day as they do just about every holiday.

My family consists of doctors, medical assistants, nurses, police officers and funeral directors.  We never can get everyone together all at once.

i still think it would be nice for many business to close on Christmas Eve if they can.  I never had that perk, but I would have appreciated it.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Sooner   Oh I know all about that.  My DH worked almost every holiday his whole career.  He was a police officer and worked the midnight shift.  

It never failed that someone called off sick for the early morning shift on holidays  and he had to work a double.  One Christmas Day as we were just sitting down to eat, he was called out for a triple homicide. He didn't come home for two days...he often went days without sleep.

My parents owned a family run restaurant.  The only day we were closed was Christmas Day.  We grew up taking turns working there on holidays such as Easter and New Year Day relieving one another so everyone could get dinner and at least spend some time with family at home.

I have three grown children...all three will be working full time hours on Christmas Day as they do just about every holiday.

My family consists of doctors, medical assistants, nurses, police officers and funeral directors.  We never can get everyone together all at once.

i still think it would be nice for many business to close on Christmas Eve if they can.  I never had that perk, but I would have appreciated it.

@Carmie That's too bad!  As farmers, teachers and telephone company workers, we never had the problems you have had on holidays.  I feel for you.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Oh my gosh!!!!  Kathy set the bar didn't she???  There are few who can walk in her foot steps!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Thanks.

This is our life and we are used to it.  Our holidays are really not that bad.  We have a very large crew.  

We have a few teachers in our family too.  They are lucky to be off for holidays and summer.  

I had an Aunt who with her husband were dairy farmers.  Now, that is a job.  No vacation and must be home early every night to milk the cows.  When they were living, they had the biggest dairy farm in their county.  I used to love to visit them and pet the baby calves.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie I raised several calves on bottles.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   I sit here alone on holidays with nothing to do.  I so wish there was some way I could substitute for one of those essential workers so they could have the day off.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   If we lived closer, you would be invited to join us, but not to work.

When I lived with my parents, we always had people for dinner. Some were old friends, some were strangers.  My father used to go get people he knew from the nursing home and buy them new clothes and shoes and they would join us for meals.

He also would have strangers at our house, for Christmas, Easter and anytime during the year. We never knew who would be sleeping on a recliner in our living room when we got up.

My mother used to say we could be murdered in our beds as we slept, but thankfully we never had issues.

His father's mother passed when I was 9 months old, so I never knew her.  My much older sister and cousins told me that she would invite strangers in to feed them when they were hungry. They used to knock on the door selling pencils and ended up with a plate of pasta or soup. She said that God sent angels to test us to see how we treated those in need.

Anyhow, Our table normally has non family members join us.  I have never invited a stranger, but many single coworkers over the years have shared our table.

Two years ago my DIL's coworker and her DH joined us.  It was nice to meet them.  

I'm sure they thought we were a crazy bunch, but if they left the table hungry, that was on them.

I will be happy when it's safe to invite people over again. Our world has changed a lot in the last few years...some for the worse and some for the better.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas.  I will be thinking  about you. Thank you for being so kind.

Honored Contributor

I think Kathy was the best!

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man