Respected Contributor

Which Has Cheaper Shipper? UPS? USPS?

Or are they about the same. I want to return an item that is in a box (not to QVC) and don't know which route would be cheaper. any recommendations would be appreciated. TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Which Has Cheaper Shipper? UPS? USPS?

I think USPS is cheaper.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

The USPS is usually less. Here is a link to calculate the price. http://postcalc.usps.com/

Honored Contributor

UPS, for sure, is far cheaper in my area.  USPS is consistently higher. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I find USPS ridiculously expensive to ship boxes.  May just be where I ship them.  My first choice is FEDEX.

Valued Contributor

At work we use a computer to calculate the cost of outbound shipments.  The least costly carrier varies depending on the destination, weight and contents.  Many shipments are overseas but we do find that DHL is usually the least expensive for items but it does vary. 

Personally, I do like the fact that USPS has boxes that if it fits, it ships for the same price.  Sending items to relatives across the country, I have learned to get very much in these boxes.  

I

Respected Contributor

Thank you soo much!! I think I will check them both out by bringing my item there  for an estimate.Thanks again everyone!!

Respected Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I find USPS ridiculously expensive to ship boxes.  May just be where I ship them.  My first choice is FEDEX.

Never thought of FEDEX. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but it depends entirely on the size and weight that you're shipping.

USPS will be less for very small, light, not high ticket, items.  UPS will be more reasonable for parcels that are heavier and/or larger.  Plus it automatically includes $100 of insurance so that makes a big difference for higher valued items.   USPS insurance is fairly expensive, compared to UPS.

FedEx might be a little less than UPS, but I've always found UPS to be more reliable.

Honored Contributor

Also if you use the USPS website and the CLICK n SHIP feature to print your label, they will give you a small discount....  I personally like USPS over UPS....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*