New Contributor

The skinny on wide-leg pants

This message is especially for Gary G and Carolyn G and it regards the shape of things to come. Alas, I fear the trend is skinny jeans and skinny pants and that is fine. I believe there should always be room for choice BUT, Gary and Carolyn, please assure me that straight leg and even wide leg pants will survive. The reason is they are dressier and more fashion-wise if you will. Especially wide-leg. When you pair a pair of wide-leg pants or trousers with a beautiful top, you looked "dressed." You look like you have an outfit on! The fabric drapes and is fluid and more poetic and beautiful than just skinny this or that. But, wear skinny pants/jeans out to dinner in a  nice restaurant with hubby or love interest and you look like a court jester. (I know that is not a popular comment to make but please consider.) Skinny pants/jeans? Fine if you're lounging at home, walkin' the dog or goin' to the supermarket. Otherwise, going to work in a nice office, out to dinner with family or friends or a big event, wide-legs make more of a dressed-up statement. So tell me please....what is the future of pants here. Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: The skinny on wide-leg pants

I have to disagree!  I'm on the petite side, and I feel much better dressed and much more chic with a skinny pant.  Wide legs overwhelm me.  I'm loving my skinnies....especially the pull-ons, without the bulk of a zipper and button.

Personally, I think any style should be in ... people should wear what works for their bodies, but don't do away with the skinny styles!

Honored Contributor

@FROM the Terrace wrote:

........kinny pants/jeans? Fine if you're lounging at home, walkin' the dog or goin' to the supermarket. Otherwise, going to work in a nice office, out to dinner with family or friends or a big event, wide-legs make more of a dressed-up statement. So tell me please....what is the future of pants here. Thank you.

@From the Terrace  

It don't know what "the future of pants here" is ... but the future of pants for me is the same as the past!   I wear straight leg, trouser style, wide leg and palazzo pants .... always have and always will.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FROM the Terrace wrote:

This message is especially for Gary G and Carolyn G and it regards the shape of things to come. Alas, I fear the trend is skinny jeans and skinny pants and that is fine. I believe there should always be room for choice BUT, Gary and Carolyn, please assure me that straight leg and even wide leg pants will survive. The reason is they are dressier and more fashion-wise if you will. Especially wide-leg. When you pair a pair of wide-leg pants or trousers with a beautiful top, you looked "dressed." You look like you have an outfit on! The fabric drapes and is fluid and more poetic and beautiful than just skinny this or that. But, wear skinny pants/jeans out to dinner in a  nice restaurant with hubby or love interest and you look like a court jester. (I know that is not a popular comment to make but please consider.) Skinny pants/jeans? Fine if you're lounging at home, walkin' the dog or goin' to the supermarket. Otherwise, going to work in a nice office, out to dinner with family or friends or a big event, wide-legs make more of a dressed-up statement. So tell me please....what is the future of pants here. Thank you.

When you wear wide pants, maybe so. When I do, I look ridiculous because I am 5' tall. Please don't apply blanket style standards to all women. I work in an office full of thousands of people and rarely see wide-legged pants. 

Women come in many shapes and sizes and prefer many styles. You prefer wide-leg pants - great. It's too bad that you were unable to find a way to say that without denigrating women who do not. I can assure you that none of the women I work with look like court jesters. Saying women look like court jesters if they wear skinny pants to dinner is not an unpopular comment, it's a rude comment. Consider that.

Honored Contributor

If you can wear them, I think skinny pants dress up an oufit.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Wide leg jeans, aka bell bottoms dont put me in a dressy mood.  I bought a pair from JJIll in a jean style fabric and i feel like Soupy Sales.  ðŸ˜¬ (only people of a certain age will get this)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer skinny pants.  Whether straight leg, tapered, or flared, pants look better when they fit the waist, hip and thigh closely.

My issue with q pants is that they are always baggy-a$$ (and leg) on me.

Respected Contributor

The style is definitely slim legs, they don't have to be tight. Styles begin in a lot of the big European and US cities, and I do a lot of traveling and I can guarantee that wide leg pants are not in style.

My guess the reason is because most women living in the bigger cities tend to be slimmer, and wider legs tend to shorten you and look like camouflage.  Some silky wide leg pants look nice for formal wear, otherwise I don't like the look of them at all.  

Contributor

No wide leg or bell-bottoms for me!!  I will never give up my skinny jeans, even when they go back out of style, again!!  I'm 5/2" and look ridiculous in a wide bell or stovepipe style pant.  Plus, the skinny pants I dont have to hem!! 

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

Wide leg jeans, aka bell bottoms dont put me in a dressy mood.  I bought a pair from JJIll in a jean style fabric and i feel like Soupy Sales.  ðŸ˜¬ (only people of a certain age will get this)

@Shawnie

There's a difference between wide leg and bell bottoms. 

Wide leg are wide from hips down - but not as wide as palazzo pants.. Bell bottoms are only wide at the bottom ... with fitted through the thigh.  Palazzo - widest leg.

Wide leg

wide leg pants

Bell bottoms

Bell Bottoms

Palazzo Pants (widest)

palazzo pants