Occasional Contributor

Thank you QVC Customer Service!

I want to thank the QVC Customer Service Department here in the Forum so others will how helpful the department is.  My bank account was hacked and the way I first found out about it was when I received an email saying one of Easy Payments wasn't approved.  I called my bank and my account had been hacked and drained!  As many people who've had this happen have said - it was a horrible nightmare!

QVC's Customer Service was so patient and helpful during the whole time.  If you've had this happen you know it's not just a couple of weeks, but it's a few months until everything is usually resolved.  The Fraud Department at my bank and the officials investigating it were easy to work with as well.  I had to cancel all of my cards while each bank cooperated with each other and I had to sit down and think of places my card information was stored.  Then, the process is receiving temporary cards and their PINS separately in the mail and a period of time later receiving the permanent cards and PINS separately in the mail.

I cold not have asked for more superior Customer Service than I received here at QVC.  When the investigation was over and resolved you will not believe where the hack happened.  It was by someone in the healthcare system in our area!  My debit card was stored in their system so I could go online to make my insurance co-payments.  They were able to find out the exact computer station, the date and time, and the person's sign-in information who took the information.  It was in an accounting center not in my local area so I didn't know the person who did it.  They drained my bank account and tried to open new card accounts as well.  After I thought about it there is real cause to be concerned in this situation - they have your name, Social Security information, phone numbers, date of birth, your workplace info - everything someone would need to do this kind of thing!

I've already thanked QVC but I just wanted to post this in the forum so others will know that they can count on the Customer Service Department here to help with anything.

Thank you again, QVC!

Honored Contributor

Re: Thank you QVC Customer Service!

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your post.  I am glad QVC was helpful to you during this awful time!

I am so sorry this happened to you.  It happened to a close friend of mine...also through the medical field and also with a debit card.  Her bank account was wiped clean.

This is why I will never, ever use debit cards.  I have zero fraud liability with my credit cards and they can't get into my bank account.  I ALWAYS pay my bills in full and have never paid one penney in interest or fees.

I hope this all works out for you!!  Best wishes!

Respected Contributor

I am so glad that everything got recitified for you!!!  I have something like that happen to me before and it really blows.

Soooo  glad that QVC CS helped you out and that you shared this with the forums.  Its nice to hear what QVC is doing right.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for your post.  I'm truly sorry for the difficulty you've been through.  Your story is further confirmation that we all need to be particularly careful with debit cards.  People think I'm old fashioned because I don't have one, but I'll stay old fashioned, thank you.  It's a scary world out there.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Carri BI'm pleased to know QVC CS service was helpful - as were your bank, etc.

And even then, you had plenty of work to do and I'm sure lots of worry.

I do like to know the systems of banking and retailing work as we expect them to -  when people are honest.  I'm pessimistic that any system exists that totally cuts them out.

I do know I've never used debit and have even asked each of the financial institutes to flag my account so that all debit requests will be refused.  I haven't checked that for a while, but, OP, you've stirred my pot.  I'm adding that task to my to-do list.  TY.

Trusted Contributor

i work in a hospital and the accounts we're hacked also over a yr ago.. i got fraud alert, it's scarey stuff......... your not safe anywhere!

Occasional Contributor

I appreciate all of you posting replies.  This experience surely opened my eyes as to what can happen in completely unexpected places.  Our bank is providing a strong protection service on our accounts at no charge, so that's another way our bank has been helpful.  I hope others read this so they can avoid this horrible experience - especially at healthcare organizations because you think everything there is adequately protected.

Again, I want people to know how exceptional QVC's Customer Service has been to help throughout this situation!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Carri BI'm pleased to know QVC CS service was helpful - as were your bank, etc.

And even then, you had plenty of work to do and I'm sure lots of worry.

I do like to know the systems of banking and retailing work as we expect them to -  when people are honest.  I'm pessimistic that any system exists that totally cuts them out.

I do know I've never used debit and have even asked each of the financial institutes to flag my account so that all debit requests will be refused.  I haven't checked that for a while, but, OP, you've stirred my pot.  I'm adding that task to my to-do list.  TY.

@Carri B Thank you for sharing your story. I'm also really glad that QVC CS was so helpful and that you got everything resolved. 

As others have mentioned, I don't have a debit card for exactly that same reason. 

When debit cards were first created (around 2003, I think) a good friend of mine had his entire $4000 bank balance drained and it took him 2-3 months to get his money back. That was an eye opener. I decided right then and there that I would never have a debit card. 

About a year later, when my bank sent me my new bank card, I noticed that they had automatically included the debit card function. -- I hadn't called the bank and asked them to do this. They just decided I should have the debit card option on their own. 

Well I immediately called up the bank and raised holy heck. I was furious that they would endanger my account that way. 

The CS rep seemed really confused as to why I wasn't delighted to have this new debit card option available and mentioned that they were automatically making it available to everyone when their new bank cards came up for renewal. 

I told the rep to set up my options to make sure that I never get the debit card option. 

Just to be on the safe side, every couple of years when I get my new bank card, I immediately call them up to make sure that the debit card option hasn't been added to my account. So far, so good... but I'm not taking any chances. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy