Super Contributor

Re: Seems to me QVC is looking to lose business

BRAVO NOW LETS WAIT TO BE POOFED AWAY

Honored Contributor

I think somewhere along the way, the method Q uses to operate has changed and we're just starting to "get it". Instead of selling products, they're selling blocks of time for products to be sold using our beloved hosts to "personalize" the presentations...live infomercials if you will. That explains the boring week-end programming, the long and frequent presentations of the TSV and the frequency of the same products week after week. It also explains why the smaller vendors that we've enjoyed over the years have been forced out as only the large corporations can afford to buy blocks of time. I expect eventually well have nothing but live infomercials 24/7 on QVC. We're close to that now, the exception being some Q-owned brands like D&C and Susan Graver. One clue...yesterday or whenever we had a Laura Geller TSV, it was apparently referred to as paid advertising or something to that effect. This may also be why Mally is being "phased out"; she's not big enough or solvent enough to be a "player". I expect we'll soon see more vendors disappear.

As annoying as the programming has become, we may be witnessing a new concept in TV home shopping and it just might work (for them).

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2015 Kachina624 said:

I think somewhere along the way, the method Q uses to operate has changed and we're just starting to "get it". Instead of selling products, they're selling blocks of time for products to be sold using our beloved hosts to "personalize" the presentations...live infomercials if you will. That explains the boring week-end programming, the long and frequent presentations of the TSV and the frequency of the same products week after week. It also explains why the smaller vendors that we've enjoyed over the years have been forced out as only the large corporations can afford to buy blocks of time. I expect eventually well have nothing but live infomercials 24/7 on QVC. We're close to that now, the exception being some Q-owned brands like D&C and Susan Graver. One clue...yesterday or whenever we had a Laura Geller TSV, it was apparently referred to as paid advertising or something to that effect. This may also be why Mally is being "phased out"; she's not big enough or solvent enough to be a "player". I expect we'll soon see more vendors disappear.

As annoying as the programming has become, we may be witnessing a new concept in TV home shopping and it just might work (for them).

Hi Kachina, so far QVC's financial picture isn't looking so hot, yes QVC does dwarf the other two shopping networks in terms of total revenue, but when you compare compare units sold and percent of revenue increases for QVC USA's 2014 last quarter (which included the Christmas shopping season) and 2014 overall, compared to the prior year, the other channels had bigger increases in both categories and seem to be growing, while QVC seems to be treading water. And when you have to rely on shipping for your profits that is not a good sign.

QVC also seems to be relying on their profits in QVC Italy and QVC China to hold up the whole kit and kaboodle. Meanwhile QVC Japan's revenue continues to decrease, QVC Germany also is in decline partly due to the exchange rate. QVC UK mirrors QVC USA. And the European economy continues to struggle. In an interview with QVC's CEO he talked about a "leaner model" as he is getting ready to open QVC France, and I think that is what we are seeing already here in QVC USA, and yes I agree, I think we will be seeing more and more vendors disappear.....the unique ones that made you shop at QVC.

Why one would buy products from QVC when you can find the same thing locally or cheaper through another online retailer, that doesn't even make sense....even if you are living in a rural area, you can order online from other companies ....and even shut-ins have other options. So as QVC continues down the path as just another infommercial, it will be interesting to see how they do financially.

And now that QVC is listed as an indivdual stock, separate from their parent company, Liberty Interactive, they can no longer hide under Liberty's umbrella, and must answer to both their Board Of Director's and Stockholders....

Interesting times for once loyal QVC shoppers and QVC.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Occasional Contributor

they changed and not for the good. I see them going downhill so fast. And talk on and on about the same product for so long. Move on ! And the dooney bags. How many bags do they have? That show has gotten as boring as computer shows. Please make it fun again to shop on QVC.
Honored Contributor

On 4/16/2015 carli said: they changed and not for the good. I see them going downhill so fast. And talk on and on about the same product for so long. Move on ! And the dooney bags. How many bags do they have? That show has gotten as boring as computer shows. Please make it fun again to shop on QVC.

And that is what I keep saying they've lost sight of... Shopping is supposed to be fun. Shopping here, at least as far as programming goes, just isn't. Not anymore...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Q is barely a shell of the top notch shopping network it used to be.

Honored Contributor

I guess they think we (the customers) are having fun with all the shouting, dancing, giggling, etc. that they do now. NOT! We want hosts that act professional like years ago and want to be given pertinent information so we can make a decision to order or not. I can't believe how little I put the QVC channel on now. Weekends almost not at all. That is a big change from years ago.

Frequent Contributor

On 4/16/2015 Daysdee said:

I guess they think we (the customers) are having fun with all the shouting, dancing, giggling, etc. that they do now. NOT! We want hosts that act professional like years ago and want to be given pertinent information so we can make a decision to order or not. I can't believe how little I put the QVC channel on now. Weekends almost not at all. That is a big change from years ago.

Daysdee, do you remember when we used to watch jewelry shows and there was ALWAYS a ruler involved. You knew the exact length, width, height and gram weight of everything you were buying. That fell by the wayside a long time ago. I don't want to hear how beautiful the host thinks the piece is, I can see that, but I do want the specifics.

Super Contributor

I love shopping with QVC and I do on a regular basis but I have to agree that some prices are crazy. Especially for the clothing. I am not paying $28.00 for a tee shirt that's not including the shipping and tax. And the OTO last night was a star, printed shirt and with the shipping and tax would have been around $45.00. That is not a OTO price to me and I am not cheap!!

Super Contributor

I agree!!! They also tax s&h!!!