Esteemed Contributor

i just had occasion to look at the Q web site for some pricing explanation.  I was surprised to see the number of pricing formulas QVC uses.  Here is a full list: As Is Price, Advance Order Price, Buy More, Save More Price, clearance Price, Event Price, Featured Price, If Sold Separately Price, Last Chance Price, Last Clicks Price, Late Night Special, Lunchtime Special, Member Price, One Day Only Price, Overstock Price, QVC Price, Sale Price, Super Saturday Price, Today Special Value, Try Me Special, While supplies Last Price.  There are 20 different pricing formulas all intended to confuse the customers into thinking they are getting a great deal.  I cannot think of one other single merchandise vendor that tries to confuse their customers in this manner. No wonder one of the consumer watch dog organizations named QVC as one of the top offenders for playing pricing games.

Respected Contributor

I would say that Kohls is as bad. Trying to figure out price/sale price/price with coupon/price with mystery % off/price after Kohls Case/price if you return something after you have redeemed Kohls Cash/price if I order online through ebates...Oy!

Trusted Contributor

Almost all retailers do this to an extend.  HSN does, Evine does, many B&M stores have constant sales (e.g. Kohls and Macys) on items which never actually sell for their original price, and Amazon's pricing can change frequently throughout the day.

This "game" only exists because many people, rather than simply paying a reasonable price for an item, want to believe they are somehow getting a deal.  In the end, all consumer's suffer because many shoppers must have this feeling that they are somehow getting a deal from the retailer.

Honored Contributor

One of my biggest disappointments is the comparison of the price they are offering to a random MSRP price... and it shows quite a difference (if you believe it).  Then you find out the old QVC price and the offered price are only a few dollars from the QVC price.  I think the one that did it for me was about $6.... lol!

So, now I realize that the pricing structure (no matter what they call it) is usually just about what it is offered retail.

But QVC is great for bundling and super sizing customer favorites and offering the price way below what they normally sell.  So, if it's a product you love and you're going to buy it anyway.... then offers like today's special value (Philosophy) is a lot of product for the money.

So I don't expect a big sale on the Q.... I will mainly buy something on the Q because of the convenience.....  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Regular Contributor

thanks for posting this. I've heard of all of these but never stopped to consider how confusing it all is. Kohls likes to play pricing games too with all their sales, kohls cash etc.  it can make me crazy at times but at least their return policy is superb IMO.

Honored Contributor

Penny's tried to stop all that nonsense with a pricing approach much like Saturn's (the car where you never had to haggle because it was one low price and that was it!!) Well....  Saturn is no longer made.... and Penny's nearly drove themselves out of business because the public apparently LOVES coupons, low price advertising with an assortment of pricing titles, on and on.... one of the reasons Kohl's is so successful.

However, I WILL NOT buy ANYTHING full price at Kohls!  So the ultimate result has been that they must have sales ALL THE TIME or people don't shop.  

*Sigh*  It's all a game but apparently the public loves it.... 

Honored Contributor

I don't pay attention to what the sale price is called.  I may pay attention if it has an expiration though.  If the price seems reasonable, I buy.  

I find other online stores change their prices daily, sometimes 7 times a week.  I haven't seen that on the q.

Honored Contributor

As a careful consumer, I would be foolish to pay more than I have to.  If I have to do a little shopping around so be it.  People have always wanted a deal, mostly because the retail price is usually higher than the item is worth.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

One of the worst are grocery stores.... most of us shop weekly and we know pricing and remember what we paid the week before.  I just stand there gaping when I know I've purchased something with a big red "low price" sticker on it the week before and the next week the same item has a bigger red "low price" sticker on it saying it's an EXTRA LOW price and it's actually a dollar or so MORE than it was the week prior.  HA! 

Honored Contributor

The whole "pricing games" thing, whether it's QVC or Kohl's or Macy's, always makes me roll my eyes as far as complaints that a business is trying to confuse the customer, make them think they're getting a better bargain than they are or otherwise rip them off in some way.

Shopping for anything, even groceries, is buyer beware. It always has been; nothing new. The fact that QVC might have come up with a few more gimmick terms to use doesn't change the bottom line -

Do.your.research.

Go into the store and look at price tags. See what Macys is charging vs. Nordstrom vs. Kohl's vs. Whoever your local equivalent is. Can't or won't drive around to do this? You can do the same thing online, and if you can find your way to the QVC forums to post, you can price shop online.  

You can check just about anything except clothes on Amazon. You can check cosmetics on half a dozen sites, but OMG you have to go through the "work" of looking them up.

If you insist on buying QVC brands and other merchandise it's impossible/almost impossible to find it except at QVC, that's your (figurative your) issue. QVC has it you where it wants you, and only you can break free.

Checking whether there is a $2, $4 or $10 price difference between Sunday, Monday and next week only means one thing to me - whatever the price is *when I'm looking to buy* is either acceptable to me or it isn't. I think it's worth the price to me, or I don't. End of story.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all