Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? Interesting article maybe QVC should read....

Another good example is Target.  Their grocery section is farthest from the entrance, so a customer has to walk past clothing, jewelry, home goods, toys, electronics, etc before he/she gets to grocery.  Forget about that!  I might pick up something in grocery while in the store for something else.  But I won't go there for specifically for groceries, because I have to walk a 1/4 mile just to get there.

Trusted Contributor

And then there's Amazon Fresh, which sells a good range of fresh groceries and delivers them the next day--occasionally the same day. Pay a little more? Well, yes, but if you are a Prime member there's no delivery charge, and the quality and customer service are both excellent. At least so far. I like to do my own shopping, and tend to use Trader Joe or CostCo, but when I need delivery, I've been very glad Amazon Fresh is there. 

I'm not sure exactly how the OP's initial comments relate to qvc, which has a different retail model from brick and mortar. I personally use qvc because I find the videos very helpful when I'm shopping online, and I've often done well with their house brands. Against that are the frequently higher prices and the nonrefundable shipping charges. So for me, there's still a good convenience factor, but the value proposition is case by case.

Honored Contributor

When I was selling antiques, one of the things I loved most about it was merchandising my items.  Putting them where they would be noticed in a setting that was inviting for purchase.... and I consistently had top sales in all three of the Antique Malls.

I've known and understood the psycological aspects of merchandising in grocery stores and have never really agreed with it.  If I can get angry at how they are merchandising by putting the milk at the rear of the store, that anger translated into not looking at what I am passing (in order to reach the milk) and not buying anything else!!

Also, watch where they put that item you love!  I had a favorite bread I bought for years.  One day it was no longer in the center of the isle where it had always been.  It was put on the bottom shelf!  After finding it, I continued buying it.  Then it disappeared again.... only to show up at the top shelf (where no one under 5.4" can reach).  Since I am 5'8".... I could reach the bread and continued to buy the bread.  

Then one day it was totally gone.  I asked the bread person who was stocking shelves.  Seems as though no one was buying it so the supermarket stopped stocking it.  I said, "of course they stopped buying it... you've placed it on the top shelf where no one of a normal height can reach it!"  

Then..... in came a whole host of new Orowheat products....  

The thing is...  the public is far smarter than these companies give us credit for being....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Some of you have probably heard that WEGMAN'S is one of the best to work for and shop at.  They are smart:   there is a full dairy in the rear of the market........but also right up by the front doors and cashier checkout is a mini dairy case along with sweet goods and breads.  It's so great for the getting-out-of-work people who can dash in - grab their needs - and slide right to the checkout.  I'm sure the hubby who gets a 4:00 call from the wifie - honey, please stop and pick up milk and breat = appreciate it.

I was going to post this exact same thing.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

I'm sure nobody involved with QVC reads any business related articles unless one of their customers posts to them telling them do to so right?

Yeah, I'm being snarky, it's that kind of dreary miserable day here and perhaps I'm too cranky to be reading the forum today, but honestly....the constant business advice to QVC from so many customer experts here makes me wonder why these experts aren't in business themselves or running making moves to sit on the board of directors where they can implement all their magnificent suggestions.

@Buck-i-Nana

Let me ask you a question......when you shop or use a service do you get asked to complete a survey to let the company know how they are doing or what they can do to improve????? Well I sure do--- every retailer I visit hands me my receipt and asks me to complete a survey to provide feedback .....grocery stores, discount stores, department stores, pizza delivery, doctor's office and pharmacy have all asked for customer feedback....Why even my bank has a commercial where they say even though their Satisfaction Rate is 98% they are asking customers how they can improve even more to meet customer satisfaction........  QVC's financial report for all 4 quarters has steadily been declining and getting worse.....so in other words they better start listening to customers or doing something or they might be laying off more employees or joining Sears, Kmart, JCP, Macys that are struggling to remain in business......Their current plans to maintain the status quo is definitely not working for QVC..... and as the article stated retailers sticking to their old methods and not asking customers what they want won't succeed in today's market.....

May I suggest a nice Margarita (or adult beverage of your choice ) which'll take your mind off the dreary and depressing weather and cure the crankiness ...... Woman Wink

Image result for cat drinking margarita

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KaySD wrote:

And then there's Amazon Fresh, which sells a good range of fresh groceries and delivers them the next day--occasionally the same day. Pay a little more? Well, yes, but if you are a Prime member there's no delivery charge, and the quality and customer service are both excellent. At least so far. I like to do my own shopping, and tend to use Trader Joe or CostCo, but when I need delivery, I've been very glad Amazon Fresh is there. 

I'm not sure exactly how the OP's initial comments relate to qvc, which has a different retail model from brick and mortar. I personally use qvc because I find the videos very helpful when I'm shopping online, and I've often done well with their house brands. Against that are the frequently higher prices and the nonrefundable shipping charges. So for me, there's still a good convenience factor, but the value proposition is case by case.

@KaySD

Perhaps the example of the placement of milk would not be relevant to QVC, but certainly looking at the business from the customers point of view would be relevant to QVC.....especially with their financial reports not looking so hot and revenues declining......For example do they really have to show IT COSMETICS and LOGO and DOONEY, SHARK, DYSON, COMPUTERSand SERTA  always on the weekend????????  (and if I see repitition I definitely DO NOT watch)...  And even their popular beauty/cosmetics category took a hit in sales last quarter....so what do they do....start Beauty IQ....does that even make sense....perhaps they've reach the oversaturation point with beauty...Or QVC has 3 vendors presenting the same type of product so what does QVC do---bring in another vendor in the same category....things that make you go hmmmmmmmm???..Perhaps if QVC started listening to Customer Feedback more their revenue would improve....

Yes, there are still brands I like and purchase from QVC but I don't do the shopping here that I used to....and apparently many other customers feel the same because you can read similar feedback all across the Forum in categories ranging from Fashion to Beauty to Home Goods etc....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

When I was selling antiques, one of the things I loved most about it was merchandising my items.  Putting them where they would be noticed in a setting that was inviting for purchase.... and I consistently had top sales in all three of the Antique Malls.

I've known and understood the psycological aspects of merchandising in grocery stores and have never really agreed with it.  If I can get angry at how they are merchandising by putting the milk at the rear of the store, that anger translated into not looking at what I am passing (in order to reach the milk) and not buying anything else!!

Also, watch where they put that item you love!  I had a favorite bread I bought for years.  One day it was no longer in the center of the isle where it had always been.  It was put on the bottom shelf!  After finding it, I continued buying it.  Then it disappeared again.... only to show up at the top shelf (where no one under 5.4" can reach).  Since I am 5'8".... I could reach the bread and continued to buy the bread.  

Then one day it was totally gone.  I asked the bread person who was stocking shelves.  Seems as though no one was buying it so the supermarket stopped stocking it.  I said, "of course they stopped buying it... you've placed it on the top shelf where no one of a normal height can reach it!"  

Then..... in came a whole host of new Orowheat products....  

The thing is...  the public is far smarter than these companies give us credit for being....

@Q4u

Great analysis......Well first our local grocery store chain,HEB, chased all the national grocers away by undercutting prices until they all left town---oh we have a few options but not many---Walmart, Super Target, Trader Joe's, Costcos, Whole Foods....but HEB beats them in price on the most popular items...so they more or less have a monopoly and they know it.....

so like your store they put their store brands in the middle easy to reach shelf  and then put the national brands on the very top shelf where it's difficult to reach (I'm 5'2") or on the very bottom shelf (back ache or pain in your knees anyone).....and then like you said, when you ask, they say, "we stopped carrying it because no one was buying".....but I beat them at their own game....I go over to the household item---grab a broom or mop and make sure the way is clear and knock down the item from the top shelf... And same thing on th diary aisle---national brand on the very top really hard to reach shelf and their brand conveniently located--ARRRGGHHH....so I go bug the employees in the back to get my brand down for me to inconvenience them!!!..  I swear one day I may file a lawsuit on behalf of "height challenged" people everywhere....Woman LOL   Like you said consumers are sharper than these companies think we are....and the little game they are playing is pretty transparent ..................

Honored Contributor

I'm not a browsing shopper - I know exactly what I want on my  list in hand & I usually go in & out. (In all aspects of shopping this is why I prefer going alone!)

I went to Sams last week to get batteries - I looked at the area (front of store near pharmacy) and looked. Finally, found someone & asked "where are the batteries?" - yup in the very BACK wall of the store where the paper products are! Holy crow what a walk - I was annoyed but then again, how else would I have seen all those great buys in the middle aisles on my way!  Just got my batteries.

And as far as milk, eggs, etc. being in the farthest wall in the back of the store (esp. WM & Publix) if I need 1/2 & 1/2, milk, bread,eggs - I go to Walgreens - quick walk in front side aisle (and I don't mind paying a few pennies more but it's usually cheaper there)

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

I like Walgreens too to get last minute things I need. .....they carry a wide range of merchandise conveniently located and from time to time even have some cute holiday decor pieces.... 

Respected Contributor

VaBelle35, our Kroger store does the same thing: there's a case of dairy basics near the front of the store, along with the full display along the back wall.