Respected Contributor

Re: PLEASE STOP USING THAT EXPRESSION!!!!!!!!!!

@kelsey17-YES! that drives me crazy!! Rachel B says it all the time, but then I have stopped watching her, lol.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@MezzieStarr wrote:

Ironic that you bring this up.  Today at work a crew came in that replaces our fire extinguishers throughout the building  every year.  We asked that ours be moved to a different wall.  The lady (yes, a woman in her 40s/50s) obliged.  She reinstalled it on another wall, took her about 2 to 3 minutes.  Guess what she said when finished?  "Wham, Bam, Thank you Ma'am" An office full of women and nobody bothered by this. 

I'm in my 30s and have used this phrase countless times in my life.   I'm not easily offended  though.  It doesn't have to mean something degrading or dirty.  It can mean something done quickly and efficiently. Change the phrase to Wham, Bam, Thank you Sir if it makes you feels better.  Woman LOL

My grandma even had a Dean Martin album with the song Wham, Bam, Thank you Ma'am on it.  I'm guessing most of you ladies are from that generation, did it bother you when Dean said it? The song is from 1950.  Here's the lyrics:

I never knew what love would do 'til I saw your smile
And when I did I flipped my lid and almost went plum wild
But now I know I'll never show my love to anyone
'Cause wham bam you broke my heart and I hope that you had fun
(Wham bam thank you ma'am) Hope you're satisfied
You took my heart and tore it apart you hurt me deep inside
I'll never be a fool again you really crushed my pride
I looked at you and thought I knew just how the game was played
My shirt tail ran right up my back just like a window shade
I cross my heart I'll never start to pal for anyone
'Cause wham bam you broke my heart and hope that you had fun
You took my heart and you tore it apart you hurt me deep inside
(Wham bam thank you ma'am) and I hope you're satisfied
I made a mess of things I guess but now I'll recognize
The next young thing that tries to say its a love-light in her eye
The love light that you spoke about was only just a flame
'Cause every tome you meet a man it lights right up again
You took my heart and you tore it apart you hurt me deep inside
(Wham bam thank you ma'am) I hope you're satisfied

Oh, that is rich indeed.  Great post.   My mom was 83 when she passed and if she were still here, her response to op and the ones who jumped on her bandwagon would have been "Oh, just get your mind out of the gutter!!"....lol

definitely.  the original meaning has nothing to do with what people are reading into it.  sign of the times.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not heard them say that. It would seem out of place to me too and make me think that the host was a little stupid for using the phrase incorrectly.

To my knowledge, the meaning of the phrase has not changed over time. Everytime I see the phrase, I hear Ted Nugent screaming it in my head. Lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

@kelsey17-YES! that drives me crazy!! Rachel B says it all the time, but then I have stopped watching her, lol.

Rachel is another one who makes up words/phrases.  I cannot watch her either.

Esteemed Contributor

The  one I hate, and so far I've only heard Amy say this, is "here at our store".............when did QVC become a store? Don't know why this bugs me so much but it does.

Valued Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

The  one I hate, and so far I've only heard Amy say this, is "here at our store".............when did QVC become a store? Don't know why this bugs me so much but it does.

Yes, I have heard Amy say that as I quickly moved on. I change the channel when Amy is the host. When she first started she would make little comments that made it very obvious she was being coached in a way to add to her likability because she would say things on air that gave me no reason to think otherwise. I would check her here and there as she moved from the overnight shows to she if she had progressed because she did seem to have potential and she changed a little. Now that she has been here for years she still comes across like she is acting and not just doing or presenting or helping describe/demo anything. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's clear that those using the phrase on QVC do not know its origins. That happened awhile ago when ânother expression, which escapes me now, was used continuously on QVC. It too had significant secksuelle overtones. I remember writing in about what it really meant and the expression disappeared from the QVC lexicon

Esteemed Contributor

I have a hard time believing they don't know what it means.....Maybe I am giving them too much credit, but I have led a pretty sheltered life and I know what that means.

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

You read my mind......she drives me nuts anyway, but that stupid "here at our store" gets on my last nerve.......that along with a voice tone that could crush rocks and talking at mach-speed until she gets to the last 2 or 3 words and then she s p r e a d s those out for ever.  So, you're not alone!

Valued Contributor

Courtney and Amy are 2 hosts that I never watch. Do you think they know what the term ditsy means.