Respected Contributor

Re: Overly religious messages to sell jewelry

[ Edited ]

QVC is on to sell items they are there to make money. What ever they can sell to bring a profit to them is what they are in business for. There is not one thing wrong with selling this bracelet. If a person knew about the trips that people take to Medjugorjie they would understand about what this beacelet means. It is no  different then a vender coming on and selling a rosary, a cross neck lace, or a bible. It is not the item it is Shawn that everyone is after not the vender or the item it is the ones who don't like Shawn. She does her job that is why she has a job and the reason she gets apay check.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with the OP.  I saw a few minutes of that presentation and switched it off.  It was the thing about the Swarovski crystal in the center of the faux pearls representing your "soul" or some nonsense like that.  (ETA:  And it was the vendor who said that, not Shawn.)

Sorry, no, it's just a faux pearl and, as a long-time Swarovski collector, I doubt very much that they created those faux pearls with any such intention.

If it's a pretty bracelet and you like you, buy it.  But I can do without the "other worldly", "ethereal", "mystical" attributions.

BTW, I have a couple of lovely bracelets just like that, but they are real pearls and were offered by Honora some time ago.  No charm dangling from them though.

Honored Contributor

Has the Vatican made a decision on Medjugoroje yet?    It's been controversial for years.   

Speaking of Q making profits over this, the town itself has turned itself into a resort.................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@cater wrote:

QVC is on to sell items they are there to make money. What ever they can sell to bring a profit to them is what they are in business for. There is not one thing wrong with selling this bracelet. If a person knew about the trips that people take to Medjugorjie they would understand about what this beacelet means. It is no  different then a vender coming on and selling a rosary, a cross neck lace, or a bible. It is not the item it is Shawn that everyone is after not the vender or the item it is the ones who don't like Shawn. She does her job that is why she has a job and the reason she gets apay check.

Well, she does her job "poorly" selling religious articles, as is shown by the number of posters who are offended.  I've seen Mary Beth sell religious articles, and she does so nicely and with dignity and respect. 

Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

Why would anyone be offended by faith? 

I think people get offended because some politicians want to shove it down peoples' throats, force a state religion, and are intolerant of those who believe differently.  I have yet to get an answer as to which denomination of the religion that some politicians push is the correct one though.

Respected Contributor

That vendor is very pushy.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't watch Monday nights anymore...so I went to  see the video......Q must have pulled it because "it was unavailable at this time"

Honored Contributor

I'm assuming you are serious and not just starting this thread to cause trouble.  However I must ask, why would jewelry of faith bother you?  Are crosses or stars of David only supposed to be sold on the black market because they are offensive in some way?  If I found something QVC offered that offensive, I'd turn to some other show.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine being offended at a bracelet presentation.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I'm assuming you are serious and not just starting this thread to cause trouble.  However I must ask, why would jewelry of faith bother you?  Are crosses or stars of David only supposed to be sold on the black market because they are offensive in some way?  If I found something QVC offered that offensive, I'd turn to some other show.

It is not the item that bothers some viewers, it is the way the items is being sold.  Personal views are being bought into the presentation which border on being preachy. I think the bracelet is very pretty,

You can sell that item without bringing your personal experience and beliefs.

We certainly can't discuss anything remotely close here on the boards, yet it is being sanctioned during the show.