Contributor
On 6/29/2014 bonbonjovi said:

They are here in Michigan at Hillers $14.99 each, and I've seen them at Busch's for about the same. Can't believe the QVC price!

Yes, Ninos Market also carries this product at a similar price.

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/5/2014 circles said:

They are also available at Stop and Shop...

May I ask what the price was at stop and shop

Esteemed Contributor

I've seen them at a local high end market, but had no interest so I didn't check the price. I assume since this market charges about $4.00 for a slice of pound cake, the My Grandma's price for a whole cake has to be at least $15.

Honored Contributor

Usually when such products can be bought locally the choices are limited and you don't know how fresh they actually are so I would sooner pay a little more for that also.

Valued Contributor
On 7/5/2014 circles said:

They are also available at Stop and Shop...

circles:

I saw them at my local S&S for the first time a few weeks back and was wondering if they were the same Grandmas that QVC sells. I gave a quick look through the choices and not seeing an that were plain, I left them behind.

Now that I know they're the same, I'll give them a try.

Maria

Honored Contributor
On 6/30/2014 Bobkats said:

The cakes sold in the store are limited to 2 or 3 flavors and are shipped frozen to the warehouse of these stores and defrost on the shelf. They are fine, but there are no exclusive flavors, like QVC has baked, for them only, such as pineapple coconut, lemon blueberry, apple cranberry and all of the new ones coming out this season. When the cakes are purchased from QVC they are baked fresh AND delivered to your door..

Once you figure the cost (time and money ) of driving of to the store, finding a cake, waiting in line and driving home and if you are "sending the cake as a gift, then having to wrap it and package it safely, address it, bring it to the post office, wait in line, pay the post office ($6-8) and then drive home, QVC offers a sensible alternative (with more choices).

Surely receiving the flavor of your choice fresh baked and guaranteed to ship safely to one's door is well worth the extra $7-8....NO??

They are about an extra 30 dollars you mean. They are one of the purchases I have made over the years that I felt totally ripped off, and regretted. I buy Smith Island cakes at 70 dollars a pop, Balboa Cakes at 50 bucks, they at least are something special. It is not so much the money, as you want to feel what you have paid that much for is special, quality and can't be purchased locally. The grandmas cakes to me are an ordinary Bundt cake. 3 years ago I ordered a Grandmas and it was dry, crumbled when cut. It was so run of the mill, an Entemann/s would have been better.
I don't know how they have sold them all these years. Except to each their own. Also, I do realize many people do not have stores near them, or know of a mail order bakery, so they order these. But seriously, they are so different or unusual to warrant the price, IMO.

Occasional Contributor
On 8/7/2014 shoekitty said:
On 6/30/2014 Bobkats said:

The cakes sold in the store are limited to 2 or 3 flavors and are shipped frozen to the warehouse of these stores and defrost on the shelf. They are fine, but there are no exclusive flavors, like QVC has baked, for them only, such as pineapple coconut, lemon blueberry, apple cranberry and all of the new ones coming out this season. When the cakes are purchased from QVC they are baked fresh AND delivered to your door..

Once you figure the cost (time and money ) of driving of to the store, finding a cake, waiting in line and driving home and if you are "sending the cake as a gift, then having to wrap it and package it safely, address it, bring it to the post office, wait in line, pay the post office ($6-8) and then drive home, QVC offers a sensible alternative (with more choices).

Surely receiving the flavor of your choice fresh baked and guaranteed to ship safely to one's door is well worth the extra $7-8....NO??

They are about an extra 30 dollars you mean. They are one of the purchases I have made over the years that I felt totally ripped off, and regretted. I buy Smith Island cakes at 70 dollars a pop, Balboa Cakes at 50 bucks, they at least are something special. It is not so much the money, as you want to feel what you have paid that much for is special, quality and can't be purchased locally. The grandmas cakes to me are an ordinary Bundt cake. 3 years ago I ordered a Grandmas and it was dry, crumbled when cut. It was so run of the mill, an Entemann/s would have been better.
I don't know how they have sold them all these years. Except to each their own. Also, I do realize many people do not have stores near them, or know of a mail order bakery, so they order these. But seriously, they are so different or unusual to warrant the price, IMO.

According to Oprah, Good Housekeeping Magazine, The Today Show, USA Today,

People magazine, 3 Kosher newspapers and The New York Times, spending $38 for 2 fresh My Grandma's cakes mailed to your door (with the flavors of your choice) is a great deal. There are numerous celebrities and other food critics who have concurred...The high ratings on the QVC website explains it all.

But, how is $38 (for 2 cakes, shipped to your door) equal to $30 extra, when 2 cakes in the store are between $22-$29??..I'm not a mathematician, but $38-$29=$9, right??

Respected Contributor

I live in NE and they are made in Ma. They are available in several of the local grocery stores here and are the same cakes made by the same company but they weigh a lot less and are a lot smaller. That is why the prices are different!