Regular Contributor

Re: My Grandma's Coffee Cake

Where did I say I was deciding where others should spend their money????  In the past I've ordered these cakes from QVC and that's how I realized I liked them but didn't want two at a time.  I've found them at Stop n Shop and Fairway on Long Island.  Both stores sell them for $11.99.

Regular Contributor

I donot have access to the markets who sell My grandmas coffee cake. I don't think $38.00 is an outrageous price for 2 28oz cakes to be delivered to your door. They are worth it. Have you mailed a package at the post office lately? The price for mailing a package is so expensive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Or you could buy a yellow cake mix, nuts, sour cream and whip up a Sock It To Me Cake in your own kitchen for about $5.  Same flavor and texture.  Pillsbury Bake Off winner when grandma was a girl.

Screenshot_20160904-183415.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

While I'm big on dupe recipes I've never been able to dupe My Grandma's. 

I've picked apart the recipe, the flavor comes from butter, sour cream, Madigascar vanilla and Mariani walnuts (you can get online). It's not a recipe I can dupe for $5. 

I don't buy them as often as I used to but they are a deelish treat for guests at the holidays.

Delivered to my door, freeze and one less thing for this girl to do!

Trusted Contributor

Kachina624,. Thanks for the receipt.  I will give it a try.  My local Wegmans grocery store has sold My Grandma's cakes for years.  My family loves them.  I love to bake and am frequently told that if I want to bake they will gladly share with me.  Yours is well worth a try and I will use good ingredients.  Imitation or cheap vanilla hurts a good came.

Trusted Contributor

For these coffee cakes, it says "shipping included" which is NOT claiming "free shipping."  When you factor in the packaging cost, and 2-day express delivery, the Q's price is not that bad. 

I just found them at a local store and their price was $13.95 each.

Respected Contributor

Our local store, S&S, sold it for $9.99. They no longer carry it now. It's good but I would not pay what the Q is asking for it.

Esteemed Contributor

We love them...can't find them in my area....so from time to time, I buy from the Q!!  They are really good, freeze well and meet my "goodie cake" needs and wants!!

Honored Contributor

@Gram W  We don't have Wegmans but when I visit my sister in PA., she always gets one of their coconut cakes.  To die For!  Have you ever tried one?

I don't care for walnuts and always use pecans when I bake.  They seem so much more flavorful.  I agree about the vanilla.  I order a big bottle of Mexican organic vanilla from Amazon and it lasts a long time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 Yes I have had their coconut cake.  We also love their carrot cake.  I read in 1 of their menu magazines that these receipts come from their customers.  They wrote about the lady whose chocolate cake they had just started baking.  I lost my grandmother's carrot cake receipt but my family says Wegmans is great.   When I find something new in the bakery we have to try it.