Honored Contributor

Re: It is still August and....

@Pearlee wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Yep, they overdue Christmas. It's a given. But the notion of retail waiting until any given season is upon us to start pushing it isn't particularly realistic, nor has it ever been the way retail operates. They're always several months ahead of real time. If they waited until November to start pushing Christmas, they'd lose out. That said, they don't have to push it so frantically, so early... They also don't have to push it virtually to the exclusion of anything and everything else once they start doing Christmas in earnest.

@stevieb  Then you aren't as old as I am.  I disagree with "nor has it ever been the way retail operates."  They were not "always several months ahead."  When I was growing up, as I stated in my first post, we took things holiday by holiday, season by season.  Christmas stuff wasn't out until after Thanksgiving.   Thanksgiving stuff was out after Halloween.  Things for Halloween weren't out  by the end of July back then.  We weren't having "Christmas in July."   If you remember the 1950s and 1960s, that's how it was, not how you are describing retail.

@Pearlee I say this without rancor and with no intent to be snarky, but for better or worse, things change... And in my recent memory and especially with the advent of online shopping and TV shopping, retailers rush the seasons, just as in my recollection they've always done with clothes. Were it up to them, I think they'd do Christmas twelve months out of the year... I agree, I do recall a time where there was more of a natural flow with fall and winter holidays, but again, with the need to take orders and ship, they've compressed them and start selling for them early... and often... I understand the annoyance, but at least where QVC is concerned, it honestly doesn't matter to me. I figure if they weren't hawking Christmas, they'd just be hawking those same fifteen items they show ALL the time in rotation even more than they already are... Please know, I'm not defending them or indicating that in any way I enjoy this nonsensical programming of theirs, just simply saying it is what it is...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Excerpt:

The earliest known occasion to make the phrase Christmas in July literal was in July 1933 at Camp Keystone, a girl's summer camp in North Carolina, which celebrated with a Christmas tree, gifts, and a visit by Santa Claus.[4] In 1935, the National Recreation Association's journal Recreation described what a Christmas in July was like at a girl's camp, writing that "all mystery and wonder surround this annual event."[5]

The term, if not the exact concept, was given national attention with the release of the Hollywood movie comedy Christmas in July in 1940, written and directed by Preston Sturges.[6] In the story, a man is fooled into believing he has won $25,000 in an advertising slogan contest. He buys presents for family, friends, and neighbors, and proposes marriage to his girlfriend.[7]

In 1942, the Calvary Baptist Church in Washington, D.C., celebrated Christmas in July with carols and the sermon "Christmas Presents in July".[8] They repeated it in 1943, with a Christmas tree covered with donations. The pastor explained that the special service was patterned after a program held each summer at his former church in Philadelphia, when the congregation would present Christmas gifts early to give ample time for their distribution to missions worldwide.[9] It became an annual event, and in 1945, the service began to be broadcast over local radio.[10]

The U.S. Post Office and U.S. Army and Navy officials, in conjunction with the American advertising and greeting card industries, threw a Christmas in July luncheon in New York in 1944 to promote an early Christmas mailing campaign for service men and women overseas during World War II.[11] The luncheon was repeated in 1945.[12]

American advertisers began using Christmas in July themes in print for summertime sales as early as 1950.[13] In the United States, it is more often used as a marketing tool than an actual holiday. Television stations may choose to re-run Christmas specials, and many stores have Christmas in July sales. Some individuals choose to celebrate Christmas in July themselves, typically as an intentionally transparent excuse to have a party. This is in part because most bargainers tend to sell Christmas goods around July to make room for next year's inventory.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_in_July

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't enjoy or watch Christmas shows in the summer either. I don't want to be inundated months and months ahead of time with sales pitches for Christmas stuff. I want to enjoy the season that i'm in. Summer is hot right now and the only clothes or anything else that I want to think about for the future is fall clothing and that's it!

I have enough Christmas stuff and hardly use what I already have.

Honored Contributor

Watching a Christmas in August show doesn't impact my holidays.  Holidays aren't about stuff to me.

Trusted Contributor

I still can't believe people use a product that has this much litigation going on. the FDA doesn't"t regulate beauty products like they do food. it really surprises me qvc continues to sell this product since they always claim they have such a strong quality assurance and legal department.
Trusted Contributor

sorry, I was replying to the wen forum. I hit the wrong page.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp  Thanks for your research to disprove my post.  However, I can assure you that in the 1950s and 1960s I did not see Christmas in July promoted, at least not in the part of the country where I lived.  I can't remember it in the 1970s either but by then maybe it was creeping more into use - I dont't remember particularly advertising int he 1970s as I rarely shopped or watched TV in the '70s.  Other things were occupying my time..

Therefore, while Christmas in July may indeed have existed so you can be proud of yourself for technically disproving my post, in practice it was not implemented, at least much and certainly not to the extent it has been in more recent times.  

Smiley Tongue  Smiley Tongue  Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

@willomenia  You can delete your posts.  Go to the three dots in the righthand corner of your posts and instead of clicking on "edit" click on "delete" . It will ask you to confirm whether you want to delete or not and then click on confirm.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KYToby wrote:

@Debzzz wrote:

I know we can change the channel, but it seems they would want to keep us watching for their own bottom line. I never order from these Christmas in summer shows, just not ready yet. The fun for me begins after Halloween at least. People must like and order this time of year though. Guess we will save some money today. Earth brand and Logo having TSV's and new items this month has kept me plenty busy lol.

it is because of their bottom line that they have these Christmas shows.  Believe it or not, QVC tends to cater to the people who actually order merchandise rather than the tiny minority here on the board.  Honestly, if 100 people here were to complain about these Christmas shows or how boring the lineup is while tens of thousands of people order products, what do you think QVC will do?

So many people here refuse to accept that QVC is a retailer -- nothing more.  it is not our family.  It is not our friends.  It does not exist to entertain us or alleviate our boredom.

I think we 100 or so people who post on the forums are a representation of the entire viewership. For every person who complains here, there are probably thousands more who agree, but don't post. They are voting with their wallets as well.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee, I apologize. I did not know that you were so sensitive but I do have to ask what in the world would legitimately make you think I researched anything for the sole purpose of disproving what you posted? I never would have thought that you were a poster that would rather remain uninformed let alone react strongly to being provided additional information.

Actually, I would have thought you, of all posters, would appreciate that something you posted piqued another poster's interest enough to gather more information. Now I know better.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.