Valued Contributor

Re: Is this a new deceptive tactic @ QVC?

At least the host presented the real price of the item that customers can purchase. Usually the host only mentions the Easy Pay price as if that were the price of the whole item.  Cashmere for under $20.....yes, but they neglect to say that's only one of about 5 or 6 payments!! That bothers me more than not seeing the original price! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tactic or not, I never believe anything about supposed original price, market price/value, markdowns, special/sale price or anything else that is claimed about price from any retailer, ever. The only thing that matters to me is whether the current price is one I'm willing to pay for the item regardless of what are sure to be inflated, erroneous claims of previous or "real" worth by the merchandiser.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is not beneath Qvc to call something a sale and only shave off a few dollars and sometimes even less than that; so yes, I would be interested too in knowing what kind of bargain I'm supposedly getting.  Lunch time specials are usually (but not always) just a clearance price with no change whatsoever.  I know this because I saved many to my wish list and knew first hand what the prices were before they became LTS for 5 hours.  

Esteemed Contributor

The V in QVC is supposedly for value, so one might expect the hosts and vendors to emphasize the value of that sale price.  When I go to local stores, cashiers circle the savings on my receipt and tell me how much I saved.  It's like they're trained to emphasize that so the customer parts ways thinking this is a place where I can save.  Personally, I appreciate a good bargain, so I would probably be more likely to buy if they emphasized the savings, but I guess that would cut in on their on-air "entertainment" time. 😜

Honored Contributor

The Q isn't the cheapest place to shop, but it's the most convenient for me and I know they are not trying to cheat me.Where else can you go to be entertained and shop at the same time. Yes, there are other shopping channels, but they don't have the hosts who are some of the greatest actors on TV. The shopping channel hosts should be included in the day time emmys, SK would win hands down and Amy I believe was an actress before she came to the Q .

Esteemed Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

So rather than pull up the item online because you missed information, you automatically assume QVC is being deceptive and you log in here to post your nefarious accusations?  Since you were on the site anyway (to post), why not just look up the item?

When QVC does somethign wrong, it is fine to criticize, but implying that QVC is deceptive is wrong on so many levels.

Well QVC may not be wrong, but I also think the original price should be shown.  Getting online is not always convenient when you are watching a presentation on TV.  When you shop in a store, they always advertise the original prices on the tags or signs (whether or not they actually sold it at that price is another story).  Knowing that the price has come down a certain amount may help someone decide whether or not to purchase it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia

That Canadian "sale" price was for one day only so yes, Canadians are sensitive to differences in pricing. Retailers are trying their best to disguise inflation. When you see an item that was $34 suddenly go up to $44 you notice. And when that same item was $29 CDN 2 years ago and $19 U.S. when the CDN dollar was nearly on par with the U.S. dollar, you know you are getting ripped off up here.

How about when a CDN Dooney retailer rips off the perforated price tags on all of the bags so that they can hide a price increase? You would only know the price of the bag if you took it to a price scanner (that is if it worked) to see what the price is now.

Honored Contributor

I've noticed in the past couple of months that the Q is doing "one day only" items here, too.  These are separate from TSVs and OTOs or clearance items.  So it's clearly just another way they're offering a discount.  I still don't get the accusation that they're guilty of "deceptive tactics".

If they state what the price is at any given time......that's the price!  If I'm happy with it and want the item, I'll buy it.  If not, I'll pass.