Trusted Contributor

Re: Is scrapbooking still a 'thing'..? Or, better said, not as popular..?

@AuntG, I have to agree with @qualitygal ... for my eyes, your post is difficult to read.  Perhaps you could use a larger font if you use this bold type.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried scrapbooking but it never really caught my interest, so I used the albums I had to just mount my poictures and called it a day. 

It seems around where I live the card making is much more popular - several ladies do this at my sewing club now, so much that we changed the name to sewing & craft club.Another thing that is popular around here is making your own beaded jewelry.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Awwwww, that's sad that she didn't get to appreciate your work of art card. I had a great aunt in CA that I'd mail mine to and she had them up on her bulletin board. I was so surprised and embarrassed. To see something much later appreciated as a work of art. At least I think that is what she was doing.

Too bad we couldn't post pictures way back when and enjoy each others art. I bet yours was beautiful. Some days in the past I've missed it. But I miss metal detecting too.

So not to miss a beat (Donna Dewberry) was next on my list. I was just getting into that and real life tapped me on the shoulder. I kept my stuff and maybe someday.......?

Honored Contributor

There is a lady i our plan that holds art classes once a month and next week's class is going to be painting wine glasses using the Donna Dewberry method.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

There is a lady i our plan that holds art classes once a month and next week's class is going to be painting wine glasses using the Donna Dewberry method.

@151949Although undoubtedly, you'll use acrylics, I used to teach Tole Painting with oils.  So very pretty.  Just blend a lot on paper before you apply.  It's hard to blend acrylics on the project because it dries quickly.

Valued Contributor

Creating Keepsakes no longer exists, at least not in hard copy.  Another paper crafts mag was discontinued too.  They transferred the remaining portion of my mom's subscription to some other mag she had NO interest in and raised heck to get a refund.

Trusted Contributor

Planning has become very popular these days.  Lots of communites to join for fun ideas on how to decorate monthly calendars and planner books.  LOTS of supplies to buy and it gets costly kind of like scapbooking.  But that is the direction my friends have taken with this craft.

New Contributor

The "old" style of scrapbooking is still around, but a few years ago Becky Higgins introduced "Project Life." It is a new style that is way faster. Most scrapbookers have a lot of photos that they will never get in an album doing it the traditional way. Project Life has albums that are three ring binders. I am not real sure what sizes there are. 

the albums consist of page protectors that have different sizes of "slots" for pictures. They sell journaling cards that fit in spaces. 

You can decorate the cards if you wish. Of course the albums come with different themes, and they have journaling cards that fit the theme as well as other odds and ends that are decorative. The albums look quite nice and are WAY faster to finish, although the old way allows you to make really elaborate pages.

I still do the old style. I have forced myself not to get started with Project Life. I am the type of person who has to buy it all. I already could open a stamp and scrap store with the stuff I have in my craft room. As it is, I am 75 YO (yikes!) and I could scrap 24 hrs a day and will never catch up. Oh, well.....

Sorry to be so wordy; I can never manage to be concise.

Regular Contributor

I just found this thread, searching for scrapbooking on the Q forum.  I, too, was very active in the old QVC scrapbooking forum that got deleted when QVC did away with craft shows.  BUT.......it looks like they're bringing it back!!!  There are lots of craft items listed and even, occassionally, some craft shows!  I LOVE to scrapbook!  I have made many and have many more in the works.  Since we have become empty nesters, I now have a whole room I am slowly turning in to my craft/scrapbooking room!  I hope we gt our own tab on the forum page, so we can reconnect over our favorite hobby!!

Respected Contributor

I know this is a resurrected thread, but I thought the same thing this week!

Creative Memories went out of business, so I knew the end was near.  Hundreds of dollars for supplies, I kept on doing it (getting extra items from Ebay to finish albums)....and now I used up most supplies.  I have wonderful 'memories' now that I just retired and for future when I am in a nursing home, all alone, wanting to remember how much fun I had thru life~!