Super Contributor

Is scrapbooking still a 'thing'..? Or, better said, not as popular..?

I remember when the Q had scrapbooking days/shows. Now I do not even see anything scrapbooking. I know a lot of people still scrapbook, but it just doesn't seem to be as "hot" as it was some 10-12 years ago. And gosh David Venable and that lady from Creating Keepsakes..Lisa Bearnson. Funny, back in '09, Lisa B and David V both sort of 'moved on'..Lisa leaving CK and David taking over ITK.  

Anyway, I was just remembering the scrapbooking shows QVC had, many with David V and Lisa B. 

I mean, I guess  QVC still has some random scrapbooking items, but I have not seen a scrapbooking 'show' on the Q in LONG TIME....unless I have just been missing them..? 

So..is scrapbooking sort of not as popular as it once was..? I know scrapbooks have always been around and will always be around and yes I am sure many on the message board here may very well scrapbook, just does not seem as 'hot' as it once was... 

Honored Contributor

Re: Is scrapbooking still a 'thing'..? Or, better said, not as popular..?

It doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was.  I know people who have scrapbooking weekends.  There was a thread out here about collectibles that have lost their popularity - interests come and go.

Esteemed Contributor

@msh8970

I never got into it, but HSN still has a few craft shows that highlight scrapbooking and card making.  Seems the emphasis is more on cardmaking, but I rarely watch the shows.  I am always tempted by the pretty papers, but I know I don't want to start down that road.

QVC used to have entire days devoted to different crafts, but it seems those day are gone.  Donna Dewberry was very prominant at one time, and haven't seen her in years.

The shows are fun to watch, but for me, that's about it.  I'm sure the folks who love it are still buying as I see a huge amount of space devoted to the supplies at my local AC Moore store.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the women I know still Scrapbook ecause they have so much money invested in their supplies.....

Honored Contributor

Don't tell HSN that. They have a full day of craft things you can use to scrapbook or make cards with. It's amazing. I use to do cards, loved it. Then arthritis moved in on me.

I wasn't good at the scrapbooking part, but loved cards. Smaller scale I'd guess.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

It doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was.  I know people who have scrapbooking weekends.  There was a thread out here about collectibles that have lost their popularity - interests come and go.

@AuntG, That bold on the words, was a little hard for me to read. It may be hard for others too. Maybe a larger font? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

About 10 or so years ago before the many changes to the message board here we had a lively craft & scrabooking section for discussion.

I remember coming here all the time back then and we even had several handmade card exchanges going.  It was fun but things changed, we started a separate board which was successful for a few years and then Facebook came along and the board fell apart.

I'be always loved working on crafts and when scrapbooking became very popular I like many others collected a huge stash of supplies. Many of us still have a substantial supply collection but I agree that the popularity has waned from those earlier days.

Scrapbooking while fun was very time consuming and expensive.  Plus now people can make digital scrapbooks which in the long run is easier and looks more professional.

As for me I turned my scrapbooking ideas into making signs and I've been doing it for ten years.  I started selling them on Ebay but for the last 8 years have had a successful shop on Etsy.

ETA:  I rarely bought much in the way of scrapbooking supplies from the Q.  I would mostly go to my local craft stores with coupons and I think most of us did that.  I'm sure the loss of populairty is why the Q dropped all of the scrapbooking items for sale.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG, That bold on the words, was a little hard for me to read. It may be hard for others too. Maybe a larger font? Thanks.

-------

@qualitygal, looks totally normal on the Kindle I use.  I'll have to see what I'm actually doing by pulling up my post on my work computer.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG, if you're still working, maybe it's just my older eyes too. ??

Super Contributor

Some great points brought up. Yes, digital definitely seems to have taken over. Yes, it is/was time consuming, and expensive. Yes, some still have major amounts of supplies to use, and yes, card-making still seems popular, and yes, the craft stores still have scrabboking sections. Yes, interests come and go. There is a local scrapbooking store here that has scrapbooking nights every Friday and all day every Sunday.. 10-12 years ago, their parking lot was jam-packed on those days. They often even had a waitlist. Now on those days (they still have those 'scrapbooking nights / days), when I drive past, their parking lot has a handful of cars. Kind of sad. But yes, digital has definitely taken over in a big way.