Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting info QVC'S FINANCIAL RESULTS 2nd QUARTER 2015

[ Edited ]

My rather cursory review of the report the other day led me to think it appeared better than it seems it actually is... It's not dismal, but it's hardly glowing. I think the shipping is a wash and was designed to be so...They made up any price break by keeping original shipping costs for returns and raising prices and hence the higher cost per item... Not only does domestic growth and profit appear to be somewhat stagnant, but the overall international operation is looking more sterling than are things domestically, which given the now fully moribund TV operation shouldn't be much of  a shock.... But the big proof is in the pudding... prices are higher and the V has pretty much flown the coop... And yes, let's keep right on programming all those 'devices', despite the decline in sales... Next time one of the Q Cheerios wants to posit that, gee, they show what sells, we now know they would be wrong... And have been for some time... This is not the first report to note a decline in electronics sales. What was that old line about doing the same thing and expecting different results...?

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

In addition to the holidays in the 2nd quarter I am sure the gazillions of gallons of WEN helped the bottom line too.  Wonder how well the next quarter will be, their Christmas in July seems to be spilling into August too. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Spurt, I always find these figures very interesting.  I'm glad you post them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  Check out the links in the update thread...  Interesting article about the OMQ.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Spurt-- Thanks for all the info on QVC's counterparts. I follow any number of companies because I live on my investments, but I don't own any general retail so I just have no idea of what is currently success in that area.

I do feel as if the whole retail world is changing faster than most of us know and that going back to what used to be just isn't going to happen, but I have no sense at all of where that world is going.  Thus, I buy a bit from QVC still, but I don't plan to buy their stock.

Esteemed Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

Hi @Spurt

"Help me out...I'm no marketing/economics genious..."

And it's obvious I'm no spelling genius either ROFLOL!  I know I should proof everything, but who has time for all that?  hahahahahahahahaha!!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF wrote:

Hi @Spurt

Help me out...I'm no marketing/economics genious, but a quick read of the OP indicated an overall increase in all the areas discussed, except for a decrease of 1% when the numbers included international.  This seems like a very good, encouraging, healthy 2nd q report...no? 

If no, then I apologize...I must have read it all wrong.

If yes, I'm afraid it means that Q will do absolutely nothing to change their business practices, and, indeed, might double-down on what they are currently doing.

What am I missing!?

@MacDUFF  Yes they made a profit, but that included a LARGE price increase for their products. ...So  QVC is making a profit yet they seem to be sacrificing their competitiveness.......For example QVC's clothes prices have been going up and up and are no longer competitive, I can find comparable items much cheaper at places like Dillards or Macy's both online and locally.......And without that price increase how would their financials have looked....

And your right I expect QVC to maintain their status quo even though in the past their % of increase in terms of units solds and revenue has been higher more in the 8%, 7%, or 6% range......To keep customers engaged they need to work on variety and uniqueness (instead of stuff I can get cheaper locally) and instead of concentrating on Facebook Friends, Pinterest and Instagram or adding more "entertainment" in their programming.....JMHO.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@lynnsy wrote:

In addition to the holidays in the 2nd quarter I am sure the gazillions of gallons of WEN helped the bottom line too.  Wonder how well the next quarter will be, their Christmas in July seems to be spilling into August too. 

@vicalynn  EXCELLENT EXCELLENT point Lynnsy....how could I forget that ....LOL....

As far as Christmas....although Christmas in July has ended QVC continues with the Holiday Spirit and the only thing that is different is the name has now changed to THE JOY OF CHRISTMAS.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt  Check out the links in the update thread...  Interesting article about the OMQ.

@stevieb  Instead of some of the (unfunny) sitcoms they are airing on network TV, they should be putting that stuff on the air waves.....funniest stuff I've seen in several years....ROFL!!!!

OMG!!!!!---Competing with Amazon,  they don't OVERHYPE, they attract a 30 something crowd, and they are in the entertainment business....Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL,

Thanks for sharing....Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

Are we able to determine the answer to the burning question: "Did the new S&H policy help their bottom-line, hurt it, or have no effect?" ?

@handygal2  I think it's hidden in their bottom line somewhere.....but it's hard to say.....they keep talking about shipping offsetting some of their profit, but without the discount on buying multiples of the same product and the "try me fee" would seem to have a different impact...