Super Contributor

Interesting Conversation

[ Edited ]

My DH was at the UPS Store we use for our mail address to pick up a QVC delivery. The owner of the store struck up a conversation with my DH as he was passing him my box. He said that his store used to get A LOT of QVC packages delivered...but now it's rare to get one.

My DH explained how Q had been my primary shopping source years ago, but now I rarely buy from them...only buying things I can't find anywhere else.

When he came home and shared that story, I got to say I was shocked. I mean I knew I rarely buy here any longer, but to hear that a busy UPS Store has seen such a drastic drop in QVC packages? Well, that really surprised me.

My reasoning for not buying here is they no longer represent Quality, VALUE, or Convenience. They used to do all that and more...and then things changed. Apparently I'm not the only one who noticed.

*** I'm editing to explain that we get ALL of our mail delivered to our UPS Store box - USPS, UPS, FedEx. So the store owner would see any and all packages that Q would ship...this is not just items shipped via UPS.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Interesting Conversation

The cost of returns have become an issue to all of us....its a fortune to send something back....so many of us have stopped random shopping at the Q. like we use to...choosing other sites that offer free shipping to and from....

Esteemed Contributor

My long-time mail carrier asked my husband if I was OK--because he noticed he wasn't delivering hardly any QVC boxes to my house!!!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to buy a lot from Q.  I think I have purchased 3 things from Q in the last 24 months. I know I returned one of those too. Here's an example of why:  

I was looking for a certain pair of shoes the other day.  Q had them for $80.  I paid $56 on another site AND received free expedited shipping.  That other company even offers free returns.  Why would I buy these from Q?   They don't compete.

I'm also tired of the repeating reel of 10-12-15 products (haven't we all memorized hosts' spheel by now), lower quality, longer shipping time, and lower values did it.

Another thought.  If you compare their electronics, particularly laptops, tablets, and TVs, you'll find that the vast majority are not the current version.  For the most part, why would someone want to buy oudated electronics?

I could give more examples.  But what it really means is Q is not being competitive.  And a lot of people are spending more than they need to for the products they buy.

Valued Contributor

@CalminHeart while I still buy some things from the Q, I would like to agree with your comments on electronics. There have  been a few occasions while researching an electronics purchase the Q's price seemed competitive...until I figured out that they were not offering the latest version. I was comparing prices of 2 different versions. The Q was offering an older model for near the same price as the newer version elsewhere.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

My long-time mail carrier asked my husband if I was OK--because he noticed he wasn't delivering hardly any QVC boxes to my house!!!  

That made me laugh......i could see my mail carrier asking my husband the same thing!!  And i have cut down also...

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I used to buy a lot from Q.  I think I have purchased 3 things from Q in the last 24 months. I know I returned one of those too. Here's an example of why:  

I was looking for a certain pair of shoes the other day.  Q had them for $80.  I paid $56 on another site AND received free expedited shipping.  That other company even offers free returns.  Why would I buy these from Q?   They don't compete.

I'm also tired of the repeating reel of 10-12-15 products (haven't we all memorized hosts' spheel by now), lower quality, longer shipping time, and lower values did it.

Another thought.  If you compare their electronics, particularly laptops, tablets, and TVs, you'll find that the vast majority are not the current version.  For the most part, why would someone want to buy oudated electronics?

I could give more examples.  But what it really means is Q is not being competitive.  And a lot of people are spending more than they need to for the products they buy.

I have to say i do agree with all your comments....very true.

Esteemed Contributor

That's very interesting.  I do buy household items but quit the gamble on clothing due to quality and return costs.

Honored Contributor

I agree with everything that's been said here. I think part of the Q's thinking is that there are still impulse purchasers out there (hence the hard-sell), who will buy something off of the TV without researching their other options. Then there are people who can't get to B&M stores. And finally, there remains a shrinking segment of the population who don't use the Internet, so their options are more limited...

QVC's business model is becoming outdated IMO, and they need to better compete in the retail marketplace in order to retain their customers-- and acquire new ones...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Yes. there is just so much competition and  by the time I do checks on a product on the web, I can find a better deal, free shipping no sales tax for the same thing. QVC really needs to up their ante and start competing for my business. Easy pays are not going to do it.