Honored Contributor

Re: IS THE Q TALK FORUM LOSING POSTERS?

@CalminHeart wrote:

I still say people are way too sensitive.  What many think is mean or snarky is just another idea or viewpoint.  

@CalminHeart

I get aggravated at the ones that have nothing to say about the topic, but boy they can be downright cruel to other posters and are just looking to bait and start a fight....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@febe1

Don't get me wrong. I do seperate the host bashing from other problems we have here.  I also think things are becoming pretty darn "bland". 

I actually like a good debate. In the past I have been in a few, but, as you said, we aren't able to do that here now.  Someone always has to ruin it.

I am totally with those who would like the moderators to remove only those posts that prevent a decent debate.....BUT...we have to do our part and not continue to engage known troublemakers.  

Imo, it's best to  disengage and hope the moderators see what's going on. I don't understand why they don't unless they strictly have decided this is a shopping board and they want it bland.

Sometimes I think ....the way things are going.....a "good" debate is a thing of the past.  It seems to be an "art" that we are losing.  I hate to say it but I think it's true.

I see the moderators as mostly quite young (maybe I am wrong on that). I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.  Having a few years under your belt is a valuable asset when you have to make calls like they do.  Not blaming them for that....just think it is easier to see when a boundry line has been crossed as you get older.   Also, moderators helping posters with customer relations or product information I think is a great thing. Anything above that, however, I see as a problem. This is long so I won't get into that.  These are strictly just my opinions and feelings....be they right or be they wrong!!

Well said, @jubilant. To your point above, Beth helped me with a problem with CS, and I appreciated very much her help. Within an hour or two I had an email from CS with an apology and a credit.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

Moderation is needed, which is a shame all by itself.  We're all adults and should be able to handle differing viewpoints.  But that doesn't happen here.  Too many people think that a different viewpoint or alternative idea is being mean, no matter how nice the person is trying to share it.  I don't want diabetes so avoid the sugar required to post most of the time.  

@CalminHeart

It does make me think of the Twilight Zone with Billy Mumy and the people in the town could only think "happy thoughts" or were banished to the corn field----LOL!!!

index.jpg

I think constructive feedback of QVC/host/vendors  is appropriate, afterall, QVC revenue is down and it helps QVC to know why......And some discussion of a particular topic can be interesting, informative, and fun, I also enjoy discussion of TV shows, movies, books even if we don't agree 100%.  Why even in the sports category we may not all agree or like each others respective teams, but we seem to get along and have a good time with discussions there.......

Now I do agree that politics should be banned because it does cause impassioned feelings which can turn especially ugly and downright hateful....there are other forums where that can be discussed......

Both politics and religion are too sensitive a topic to be discussed even at the dinner table often, @Spurt. However, this is a Shopping channel forum. We're a collection of adult women who enjoy shopping, fashion, good deals and great finds, not stevedore's working the wharf. How bad can we be that we need to be deleted and removed with our opinions. I've never seen cursing, crudeness. How many posts are removed b/c they're "argumentative," or have the possibility of becoming one.

A lawyer's argument is just his opinion of the merits of the case.

Respected Contributor

I do not think so.  What is missing is all of the snarky postings about hosts etc. I am glad they delete the snarky postings.  I come here to read about products that I am considering purchasing or purchased.  I have saved a lot of money as well as purchased products that did not interest me initially.  I think this forum is a great source of product information. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

We all know that speaking what we truly feel about a host is not accepted although I don't understand why. Yeah I know what some will say but if the biggies at QVC would read some of the things people like and don't like about the host's they would get a better insight as to what the people want. Same with the products being sold.

I have learned that it is better to "like" all of the host's than to give an honest opinion and the same goes for the vendor's. I may not like what they are selling but I have to "like" the vendor.

If I go against the "like" everyone status I get in trouble. 

These boards and some of the people on them want to be in a bubble leaving those outside the bubble deleted, poofed or in time out.Smiley Frustrated

I will probably get reported for this and get poofed but it is what it is.Cat Sad

It is 70 degrees and sunny today! What a glorious day to be alive! Woman HappyHeart

************  I don't have a problem with someone giving an honest opinion. There are, however, some here that do not seem to know the difference between an honest opinion  and constant criticism. They end up making a career out of it!  One does not have to attack the person to address an issue with that person. You attack the problem....Not the person.

And not every difference of opinion is an "attack."  A very great amount of the strife on these forums is caused by those who believe every post that doesn't totally agree with what they have said, or that disagrees with them, is an "attack." There are posters who turn a discussion with differing opinions into a battleground, and make it personal forever after, because they are positive they are being personally attacked, and consequently pre-emptively "attack" and/or snipe at everyone they believe has ever "attacked" them, forever going forward. If disagreements stayed disagreements, and the disagreements stayed within individual threads, this would be a much less snarly place.

@Moonchilde, you nailed it here. Some hold on to what they perceived as personal slights as if they were jewels, bringing them out and dusting them off every chance that they get.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

We all know that speaking what we truly feel about a host is not accepted although I don't understand why. Yeah I know what some will say but if the biggies at QVC would read some of the things people like and don't like about the host's they would get a better insight as to what the people want. Same with the products being sold.

I have learned that it is better to "like" all of the host's than to give an honest opinion and the same goes for the vendor's. I may not like what they are selling but I have to "like" the vendor.

These boards and some of the people on them want to be in a bubble leaving those outside the bubble deleted, poofed or in time out.Smiley Frustrated

I will probably get reported for this and get poofed but it is what it is.Cat Sad

It is 70 degrees and sunny today! What a glorious day to be alive! Woman HappyHeart

************  I don't have a problem with someone giving an honest opinion. There are, however, some here that do not seem to know the difference between an honest opinion  and constant criticism. They end up making a career out of it!  One does not have to attack the person to address an issue with that person. You attack the problem....Not the person.

And not every difference of opinion is an "attack."  A very great amount of the strife on these forums is caused by those who believe every post that doesn't totally agree with what they have said, or that disagrees with them, is an "attack." There are posters who turn a discussion with differing opinions into a battleground, and make it personal forever after, because they are positive they are being personally attacked, and consequently pre-emptively "attack" and/or snipe at everyone they believe has ever "attacked" them, forever going forward. If disagreements stayed disagreements, and the disagreements stayed within individual threads, this would be a much less snarly place.

@Moonchilde, you nailed it here. Some hold on to what they perceived as personal slights as if they were jewels, bringing them out and dusting them off every chance that they get.

@suzyQ3 I agree, the dusters need to be washed and put away. LOLWoman Happy

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@suzyQ3 some absolutely do - it's the only topic some talk about.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

MJ12 wrote:

suzyQ3 wrote:

Moonchilde wrote:

@suzyQ3 some absolutely do - it's the only topic some talk about.

@Moonchilde@suzyQ3@Mj12

I know.  I understand being confused or surprised when threads/posts are removed, but continuing to return and bemoan the fact is a puzzling pattern.   We probably have to take the anecdotes with a grain of salt, somewhat.   I don't even read or post here as much as I used to, but just in recent weeks I've seen several instances of unusual accounts of "inappropriate deletions."  

In one case, a poster scolded someone for a standards violation, sarcastically telling them to read the standards; then the scolder went another forum and bumped up a thread from 2015 (a clear standards violation); then the scolder appeared on another thread to complain that her posts were removed for no reason.   In another case, I was reading a thread in which a poster listed 2 hyperlinks, one to merchandise on Amazon and another to Wiki.   When I came back to the thread, that post was removed (reason:  link to retailer), and the poster was upset with the moderators and claimed the only thing she posted was a Wiki link.  

To be clear, I saw these by happenchance, yet there were 2 of them in a span of a couple of weeks...  and that makes me wonder how often the stories we read, blaming the moderators, are slightly different from what actually happened.   Frankly, I see a lot of things deleted that seem odd to me, things I didn't think were even close to being a violation...  but if we want to complain, we at least should be honest about what happened.  (After all, the moderators still have the deleted threads/posts, so they can look at them and review exactly what did happen.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

CalmInTheHeart wrote:

Moderation is needed, which is a shame all by itself.  We're all adults and should be able to handle differing viewpoints.  But that doesn't happen here.  Too many people think that a different viewpoint or alternative idea is being mean, no matter how nice the person is trying to share it.  I don't want diabetes so avoid the sugar required to post most of the time.  

I agree...  we see overuse and misuse of the words "haters," "meanies," and "bullies," when in fact someone merely expressed a different opinion.    I wish we could drop the notion that we have to convince others to change their minds and come around to our way of thinking.   If only we could really hear the other views, take a step back to think about them, and respect one another and agree to disagree if we can't find common ground.   If we care about learning and growing, we'd be foolish to surround ourselves only with those who agree with us all the time.   The key is to be civil in our discussions and do our best to allow everyone to leave the conversation with their dignity intact, in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree about the "sugar" required.   That's mentioned a lot, and I think it's a form of gaslighting -- the effect of "say it enough and it will seem to become true."   (I'm not saying that's what you're doing, by the way.  Truly❤️.   I think the gaslighting has worked over time, and now we all have this ubiquitous "sugar, sweet, syrup" meme in our head.)    In fact, there are threads every day with very negative, critical posts about products, hosts, vendors, or other topics not associated with QVC. 

Thanks for this thread, @AJW!   It's been very interesting to read.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo, I see "creative" whines all the time.  People who say they were "just being/trying to be helpful/give good advice" when in reality they were being personally rude and deliberately, with calculation, cruel to a poster, and they could easily have given the gist of their "advice" in far different terms and still have expressed their point - if they had actually wanted to do that.  Incredibly "unnecessary" and "unkind" without question. But THEY were "victims" of QVC's "evil" overmoderation. LOL.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all