Trusted Contributor

How did they get my CELL PHONE Number

This might seem like a silly question.  I am not a computer expert.  I pay my verizon home phone bill online via my credit union.  I have never paid my bill on the verizon website.  I have paid my bill on my phone via an app.  

I noticed in the last few weeks that when I pay my verizon bill onine, a few hours later I get a TEXT saying thiank you for your payment.

I have never provided my cell phone cause to any businesses or entered it in my profile with the business.

HOW DID THEY GET MY CELL PHONE.

The same thing just happened this week on my suntrust account. I went to log on and it asked because I as not logging on my normal laptop that they could send a text to my cellphone.  I have NEVER provided my cell phone on any sunstrust profile.  

I don't understand how this works?  Please educate me on this topic.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: How did they get my CELL PHONE Number

imagine Verizon cross indexes your information on your different Verizon lines, home and cell.  

Respected Contributor

Big brother is watching.

Esteemed Contributor

If both accounts are through Verizon then Verizon has your information including your phone numbers.  Also, you enter your phone number when you pay online.

As to the bank, many companies are now asking if you would like to provide or is there a cellphone number to receive text messages.  Many people conduct business via their smartphones.

@Happiness Is Inside JOB 

Respected Contributor

I still have a little flip phone that I never give anyone the # to, except a few friends and I get all kinds of stuff on there. Since I'm not a techie either,  whenever I check it, it  takes me several minutes to delete the stuff as I never use  the phone and don't remember how to do it from one time to the next.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks but the crazy part is, the phone is from my JOB so I doubt the phone is offically in my name with verizon.  If they even use verizon.  

I intentially don't release the cell phone number on anything since it is not my personal phone.

I think if you are in your house, and turn on your cell, it transmits the "address" to the internet site, and some of them have the abiliyt to send you a text message. 

I noticed that suntrust had my cellphone and hubby's cellphone listed as option for texting.

I know without a doubt, I NEVER EVER EVER give those cellphone numbers out.

It is crazy to me.

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

Didn't you say you pay your bill thru the internet? Nothing is personal as long as you're on the internet. Everything is out there for anyone to grab.

Esteemed Contributor

You're right.  It could be "location services" turned on, on that phone (good thing if you're calling 9-1-1).  

I generally have that turned off.  Bluetooth, too, as I suspect I've been "bluesnarfed".

Oh well.  They got the payment.  Verizon texts me, also, and I don't recall giving them the cell #, though it's entirely possible I did and I've forgotten.  They are my ISP but not my cell phone carrier.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it was the My Verizon app you installed, the permissions include device ID & call information. That includes your phone number. I never install an app before first reading the permissions on the app's page. Google Play has explanations of app permissions and how to manage them on their site.

If it was a different app you used, check the permissions. If it knows your number, it might have been provided to Verizon for identification purposes.

You should be able to log into your account profiles to delete the cell number.

verizon app.JPG

verizon app perm.JPG

Trusted Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

oH. Ms. Caffeina

Thank you

I'm sure you have found the answer.

I am going to go back and make some adjustments.

in your life!!!