Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts ordering during presentation

@Tadaki wrote:

@Carolm wrote:

Whether a sales tactic or not, its tacky.

Tacky is exactly what I would call it.  I really think it's a sales tactic, in fact I think it means the item isn't selling well enough.  Hard to imagine people rush to order after hearing that.  

When a color becomes a "favorite" in the middle of the presentation, I also think that means it's not selling.  This I find humorous.  The ordering I find offensive.  

I totally agree with your comment about the "favorite colors."  Maybe the host will be pushing the green and then all of a sudden they say, "I would order this yellow--looks just like spring, etc."  

Super Contributor

Shawn pulled the same tactic last night on PMS. Was ordering Logo tanks. She has gotten extremely tacky.I noticed when she says the wrong thing, she then backs up and tries to correct herself. It happened last night during the TSV presentation.

Respected Contributor

@Barb114 wrote:

Shawn pulled the same tactic last night on PMS. Was ordering Logo tanks. She has gotten extremely tacky.I noticed when she says the wrong thing, she then backs up and tries to correct herself. It happened last night during the TSV presentation.

When the host does this (start ordering for themself) it means she is thinking of herself at that moment and not the customer.  I saw it last night too.  She was totally spending her presentation time deciding which color she wanted for herself and was not even speaking to the people watching.  She was conversing with Lori about which one SHE should get.  Tacky.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When they do it, I recognize it as a sales tactic.  I've seen several hosts do it over the years, but it doesn't influence me. I actually find it to be a turn off.

Esteemed Contributor

And have you noticed they're all telling you to "get two of them"? Two of everything, b/c when you come back for another they won't be here. I just hope they don't turn to BEGGING us to buy!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Leah stated in a show yesterday (or day before) that hosts could not order until after the show. She wanted some ground cover plants. I can't imagine that the policy changes depending on the host. All I can think is that the orders placed by hosts while on air are on hold until after the show. At the very least this on-air ordering seems very manipulative. To suggest the host is ordering along with the viewers because the item is so awesome makes me question the integrity of the presentation. Either the host can order on air or they have to wait. Which is it? 

Edited to to add: if the discussion is only about which color the host should order, that is not the same as ordering during the presentation. I have seen both of these scenarios, but neither puts the focus on selling to the viewer. There is enough personal chatter about host families, trips, and beach homes already without hearing them tell the producer they want that top in red in xxxs.

Honored Contributor

The hosts cannot purchase before the consumer.  That is just a ploy to get people to buy.  If they do buy it's before the show goes on air.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

The hosts cannot purchase before the consumer.  That is just a ploy to get people to buy.  If they do buy it's before the show goes on air.   Cat Very Happy

But they should all at least try and keep their stories straight. 

Hosts have said that they are not allowed to order new items in their own show until after they have been aired.  But then I have heard other hosts claiming they ordered a new item before they went on the air. 

I fully believe some of them do order before their shows and some order while other hosts are on or order on-line.  But I don't believe all these hosts are ordering while they are on air presenting.

I'm surprised Jill has started to fall into the habit of doing this.  I've heard her make the claim a few times now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe the hosts cannot order an item if its first appearance is in their show. If it's aired earlier, then maybe it's fair game. Heck, I don't know what the rules are, but stopping the show to place personal orders is not convincing me to buy anything. That I do know!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

But they should all at least try and keep their stories straight. 

Hosts have said that they are not allowed to order new items in their own show until after they have been aired.  But then I have heard other hosts claiming they ordered a new item before they went on the air. 

I fully believe some of them do order before their shows and some order while other hosts are on or order on-line.  But I don't believe all these hosts are ordering while they are on air presenting.

I'm surprised Jill has started to fall into the habit of doing this.  I've heard her make the claim a few times now.

We never see Jill in QVC clothing.