Respected Contributor

Hosts ordering during presentation

Does anyone else find it unprofessional for a host to be ordering for themself during a presentation - especially one that may sell out?  For some reason it doesn't seem right. I thought they had a chance before the item is presented as a perk of being a host, but maybe I am wrong.  The other night a host who I will not name was presenting something new that was selling out fast.  She asked her producer while on air presenting to order her 2 of the item and a few minutes later it sold out.  What if you were a customer waiting on line or on the phone to place your order but you lost out because the host got the last one!

Respected Contributor

Re: Hosts ordering during presentation

Doesn't bother me at all.  First come, first served ... it really would not matter who the person was.  Some people believe it's a sales tactic. 

Respected Contributor

Years ago it wasn't done. I am not sure when this started when hosts and models could purchase while showing an item.  The policy was the customer first and if anything was still availible they could order after the show.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I think it is wrong for the reason that they should be focused on the customer and not themselves.  When I worked in retail, we were not allowed to try on clothes or have a sale rung up by another associate unless we were on our lunch break or were "off the clock."  

I enjoy QVC and this is not a deal breaker for me, but I'm just responding to the question.  

I suppose each company has their own policy that works for them.  

Honored Contributor

I think it is all a sales tactic to generate more sales.  The hosts can order before the show if they really want an item.  They know what will be presented.  That said, if it is "legit", I would not care.

Honored Contributor

I think it's a sales tactic, since they could easily order beforehand.  Having said that, I find it a very tacky sales tactic.  "Too bad, customer!  I got here first!".  Not a message that a business should want to send to its customers.

Honored Contributor

It's just a sales tactic - they're trying to start a stampede.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me.  

Honored Contributor

I'm a cynic, I don't think they are really buying the product, they just want to drum up interest in the item. Personally, I don't care what the hosts buy. I don't believe that they wear QVC clothes in their real life.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

My remembrance of it is the LISA ROBERTSON STARTED THIS.  I think it was a sales tactic.  She was always so "cutesy" about doing it-complete act.  Of course whatever she "ordered" sold out because everyone wanted to be like her.