Respected Contributor

Re: Hosts Change

[ Edited ]

I suppose I like the lower key sales pitches of folks like the Dans. I can watch either of them endlessly.  Others, like David, Rick, Alberti not so much. They are a little "strong" for me and often too silly. I guess it's all a matter of personal taste, but I rarely (if ever) watch someone who sort of offends my

relatively quiet senses. I will watch with the mute on if there is something

coming up that really interests me.  

I often have the tv on with a relatively low volume - more during the night since DH passed away and the house is too quiet. Alberti often blurts out these too loud laughs that almost shake the ceiling. His style has defiitely chaged since he started.  Not meaning to be offensive here - just suggestions that might increase my watching.

The same goes for the women hosts. Carolyn is my clear favorite. But I am beginning to watch Nancy more and have always enjoyed Jill.

Honored Contributor

One thing I feel pretty sure about.....I don't believe the hosts are ever made to watch their own presentations.  If they were, I'm sure some of them would be morified and would change.  Hasn't happened, to my knowledge.

Trusted Contributor

The night shift is for new people who are learning and/or retraining.  That pushier style is what gets the higher sales and that is exactly what QVC wants.  While we enjoy the more personable hosts with the less pushy & more natural style apparently that approach does not create the urgency to buy NOW, resulting in lower sales.  At this point I don’t think anything has gone to his head, he is actually probably mortified to have to change  his natural style.  I think if he wants to keep his job at QVC and move to more profitable timeslots, he is being told he needs to change his approach to the more assertive style QVC thinks is financially successful.  That is why he is on in the middle of the night, to practice his transformation into the fast talking, high pressure sales rep. 

Back in the beginning of QVC things were much more friendly, natural, and educational.  They were looking to bring in new viewers to a format that was foreign to everyone.  Trust and a relationship had to be built with the viewers to keep them coming back.  That was the first priority back then…get them to come back & watch…get them comfortable enough to talk to their friends about QVC.  Prior to that time the closest thing to shopping channels was early infomercials and they were very huckster-like so most people did not trust that buying approach.  Building a relationship with the viewers was the essential first step to selling.  Now that QVC is a huge international selling machine with a massive customer list, their priorities have changed - they need to sell, sell, sell to feed the monster.  They are almost becoming the very thing that they worked so hard not to be in the beginning.  JMHO

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette

Once they went off air they used to have to review their on-air performance tape dailey with a trainer who pointed out everything they did wrong and what changes needed to be made in the future.  I am not sure if that practice continues today, but I would bet there is something like this happening behind the scenes.  I’ll bet many of them are mortified at times, but it is their job and the employer calls the shots. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

I've noticed many, many comments about Alberti P being a great host and calling upon QVC to utilize him more and at different hours.  I've been watching him for some time now but I wonder if it's gone to his head (and I have noticed this about other new hosts) that once the compliments start piling in that maybe it goes to their head.  The last three or four times I've watched him I noticed a change in his presentations.  He's getting somewhat pushy and not letting the vendor get their comments in.  I think he's trying too hard.  It's a give and take relationship - host and vendor.  I wish they would realize this.

It's probably management telling him to be more aggressive.  They've ruined more than one good host that way.  While we appreciate a laid back demeanor, they want the hosts to sell, sell, sell.  Remember how sweet and calm Jacque was her first few months, then overnight she became as obnoxious as the rest.  Same thing with Rachael.

I believe they think talking fast and interrupting vendors creates excitement, making us more likely to buy.  How wrong they are.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Jacque used to be my favorite,enthusiastic but not over the top.  Loved her Vera Bradley shows. Now I can't watch her, so I agree with you @Kachina624

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor
Whats crazy is i am sure they are pushing better sales performance from some hosts. Their sales diva is gone and sales are way down.
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind.

Respected Contributor

@CAMOGIRL

some hosts just seem to handle it better than others though...

ITA.  One of them being Mary Beth.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's a matter of anything going to his head, I think it's more likely those in charge seem to want their hosts to be as 'in your face' as possible. He probably wasn't being over-the-top enough to suit them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...