Honored Contributor

Re: English Language...STOP!!!!

@TY wrote:

Poor diction and grammar is a QVC staple. It goes along with the social media reality selfie culture.

They are trying to appeal to the customer base they WANT rather than the one they HAVE.

OTOH, some of the written forum responses make me shudder as much or more than anything I've heard a host say.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I have to agree, I think it is part and parcel of the TwitterIzation (to make up my own word and butcher the English language) of our culture. I truly appreciate watching an articulate  person on tv, whether they are discussing current events or selling a vacuum cleaner.

In the old days of the Q hosts were expected to be articulate and polished in their presentations.They must shudder when they see some of what goes on now.  I'm sure it is extremely  difficult to speak so much on live TV and not lapse into lazy speaking patterns, but you could also watch yourself on tape and try to learn from that.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

@Ane1Care

Wow, I had no clue of the spelling or knew the word is Yiddish!  Thanks for explaining!  Smiley Happy

It's a cute word....but it truly gets over-used IMO.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt same here. I use "ain't" in a kidding manner. Awhile back I used it on a FB post, again kidding. Then I thought to myself, I hope they don't think I am seriously using it. I think I may have deleted the post, for fear of looking like a redneck,lol.

Occasional Contributor

And another thing the hosts say all the time is "Marrying stones together for ring settings"!     Rings do not "marry".   People marry!    It sounds like scratches on a blackboard when I hear it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@valgators wrote:

And another thing the hosts say all the time is "Marrying stones together for ring settings"!     Rings do not "marry".   People marry!    It sounds like scratches on a blackboard when I hear it!

There is more than one definition of marry, one of which is:

"to combine, connect, or join so as to make more efficient, attractive, or profitable:
The latest cameras marry automatic and manual features. A recent merger marries two of the nation's largest corporations."

Sorry, you may not like it but, in this case, they are using the word correctly.

Honored Contributor

Tx Starlight wrote:

@chickenbutt same here. I use "ain't" in a kidding manner. Awhile back I used it on a FB post, again kidding. Then I thought to myself, I hope they don't think I am seriously using it. I think I may have deleted the post, for fear of looking like a redneck,lol.

Hey, don't feel like the Lone Ranger!    As much as I do have great disdain for that 'word' I've also used it in a joking bit.  Sometimes you have to construct a sentence using poor grammar to make a specific comedic point.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Ane1Care wrote:

@Qshopper1991   Tszuj, it's Yiddish. 

I think it really took off on here with Lisa R. (I'm not hating, that's just where I first starting hearing it), now Shawn says it quite often (Again, not hating. I like them both.).  It's become the "it" word for fiddling or scrunching up....stuff. 

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/57252/how-to-spell-%CA%92%CA%8A%CA%92d-and-what-does-it-m...

more on the origin of tszuj 

if you care to read it.   interesting

Honored Contributor

At sometime awhile back, converse and conversation were not real words either. Somebody made them up. I wonder if people were complaining back then? Maybe conversual will be a word. That's a casual conversation. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@valgators  and Valerie Parr Hill 'marries' colors on her shows.  I think some of this is funny.  As long as we understand what people are saying it's fine, I think.  Smiley Happy