Trusted Contributor

Re: Dennis Basso and Jill Martin

Who is Jill Martin?????

Respected Contributor

This facebook pic. is from February 2nd .

Dennis Basso and Gili's Jill Martin

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

This facebook pic. is from February 2nd .

Dennis Basso and Gili's Jill Martin

YUK!

Valued Contributor

QVC is low on designers, and very high on celebrity spokespeople who pretend to be designers. Everytime I watch Gilli Jill, I want to write down what she says and post it, but I fear it would be zapped for being "unkind", although it would simply be quoting what came out of her mouth. An example was when she said if you googled a Gili bag on clearance for around $200 you would see that it was worth over a $1000. Now how, may I ask could you do that? A thousand dollar bag would have an actual designer label on it, not a made up QVC name on it with a pseudo designer promoting it. How can you google that?

Maybe we should google pretentious instead.

Respected Contributor

@Calcgirl wrote:

Who is Jill Martin?????

I did not know, either, and had to ask a month or so ago myself. Never heard of her at that time. She is the salesperson for the Gilli line and apparently has some occasional network tv gig, which I have never seen. I don't see what she brings to the party, but someone at QVC must like her. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if she will try to put that belt around one of his coats???

Trusted Contributor

I wonder how long it will take before she gets upset with him on air.  She can turn on people if she thinks they disagree with her opinion.  Dennis is a true designer and he knows fashion past and upcoming.  She is here and the AM with KLG and Hoda.  She takes 2 ladies from the group outside and helps do a makeover.  She gets the clothes.  I have yet to see her use QVC designers but maybe I missed if she did.  They have said that she has written a book as well.  Dennis seems to get on well with everyone.  He does say some "colorful things".   The chemistry between them will be interesting to watch.  That is a show I may have to watch for the entertainment.  It might be a relief from the news of the real world.

Honored Contributor

@cotto22 wrote:

QVC is low on designers, and very high on celebrity spokespeople who pretend to be designers. Everytime I watch Gilli Jill, I want to write down what she says and post it, but I fear it would be zapped for being "unkind", although it would simply be quoting what came out of her mouth. An example was when she said if you googled a Gili bag on clearance for around $200 you would see that it was worth over a $1000. Now how, may I ask could you do that? A thousand dollar bag would have an actual designer label on it, not a made up QVC name on it with a pseudo designer promoting it. How can you google that?

Maybe we should google pretentious instead.

I heard that myself....!

And thought roughly the same thing!  I love handbags, have bought and sold very high end pre-loved bags on the second hand market and know a couple of the brands extremely well.  I even own a GILI Roma 3.  I like the bag, think the leather is nice and the construction good but NOT on the par with a $1,000 designer handbag. Just no.

Although I think they are pretty much worth what they are charging for them.... the stigma that the bag is from a shopping channel cancels out whatever hope QVC has of becoming a $1,000 a bag Design enterprise.  As a matter of fact, this stigma IMHO has actually lowered the cache of the Designers that are already selling THEIR items..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Dennis and Joan worked.................Jill is no Joan. Won't be watching.

Regular Contributor

holy smokes that will be one loud overbearing show! It will be a contest who can talk the loudest and the fastest. I'm just curious how she's going to put a new spin on that stupid belt....