Esteemed Contributor

Re: Carolyn's and Dan's Being Let Go Made the National News

ON my news feed, E Online.  They said they reached out to QVC but got no response.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

E (Entertainment) News is not exactly a major network...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

It's a bigger deal than the fact that two fairly well-known hosts were let go.  It hit the news because the West-Chester area will be affected financially.  Four hundred jobs gone means less money filtering down to that area.  Real estate, restaurants, related businesses, etc. will cut into the regional community.

Those people working there have families to support, food to buy, mortgage payments, rent.  All things that ripple through a community.  Not to mention a corporation that is losing money and may fade away.

The cuts were not just QVC.  The cuts were throughout Qurate which includes HSN.

"Colorado-based Qurate (NASDAQ: QRTEA) said the job cuts impact QVC, HSN and its corporate shared services teams in the U.S. The last day for most of the impacted employees was Tuesday, the company said in a statement on the eve of its fourth-quarter earnings report Wednesday morning." @RoughDraft 

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Must be a slow news day.

Or maybe they were well liked and people care. 

Honored Contributor

One thing I liked about Carolyn was that she was calm and informative in her presentations.  Down to earth, IMO.  

I watched a show today (that I'd recorded) with a new host I haven't seen before.  Without naming her, I was fast-forwarding within the first ten minutes.  I thought if I heard the phrase (to the model) "Are you feeling it?  Like I'm feeling it?"  This to ask what the model thought of the item of clothing being sold.

Then it was all hyper, overblown smiles, "hip" slang and the "we all love each other here!" and it was too much for me.  I seldom watch QVC anymore, but that won't encourage me to.  Back to online shopping.

I did think one thing was ironic:  when showing a top with lots of floral embroidery, the host made a couple of comments about Carolyn Gracie's "garden shows".  Nope!  Not any more!

Esteemed Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@hopi    They were both fired so not sure how much respect they got

They gave them more time before they decided to let them go.... 

Valued Contributor

There are several very longstanding hosts that are close in age to both Dan and Carolyn who were not let go, at least not yet. If this is the beginning of a major restructuring, maybe more will be affected down the road. Both Carolyn and Dan seemed to have fewer and less prominent on-air shifts than other senior hosts, so it’s very likely that their sales figures suffered as a consequence. As with every other commenter, I have my personal opinion of the hosts I like and those I don’t, and I liked both Carolyn and Dan and their on-air personalities. “Garolyn” has been my favorite show pairing for years and I will miss Carolyn and Gary together.
Trusted Contributor

sorry to see them go but good luck to them

Carolyn Dan.jfif

Occasional Contributor

The TODAY Show covered it, I just saw it on my phone (Google news) on their feed.  While every year it seems certain hosts are let go, this one feels different.

Valued Contributor

It was also reported on People mag website today - People also said they reached out to QVC for a comment but got none back.