Super Contributor

Re: Carolyn Gracie on Denim + Co

I like Carolyn. She always states what size she is wearing. She even reported that she is leaning more to the upper end of size large. I respect her honesty. That being said I didn't care for her in that jacket, in my opinion, it was not her best look. She, however, felt comfortable with the look and wanted to model it for us. Therefore it gave us an idea what it would look like on us if we are shaped like her. With this info we could make up our own mind if we wanted to purchase it.

FYI: she is on vacation for the next two weeks. I hope she has fun. 

Respected Contributor

After seeing her today, I don't think she wears a size large. She may squeeze into a large but it can't be comfortable. After all she has been through this year, it is understandable that she has gained weight. After a certain age, we have to be honest with ourselves regarding weight and sizes.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@corita wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@corita wrote:

@LancerHawkFriar wrote:

I like CG very much. She is a real sized woman and owns it and talks about her figure flaws etc...very honestly And candidly which is very refreshing.  My peeve today is whoever styled her outfit today made a huge booboo.....that jacket she had on did not fit her at all!!! No way could she zip that thing! It was so unflattering on her. I felt bad for her because ususlly she looks great. Think the wardrobe/stylists need to rethink their choices...

-------------------

I agree with every thing you said about Carolyn - her honesty and openness.  And yes, it seems like everytime I have seen Carolyn lately, her clothes do not fit her body!!  I do think it is as simple as wearing clothes in a larger size.   I also think the same happens to two other Q people that I like - Leah and Jaquie, the model.

Having watched Carolyn for years, I've come to the conclusion that consistently wearing her clothing at least a size too small is her choice, and hers alone.

There have been several threads on the forums about women who wear their clothes too small. It's just the way they like to wear them - they honestly think that is their best look. Others may think oh no, it must be someone else's fault, that person couldn't possibly be doing that on purpose - but they are.

I like Carolyn a lot. She's one of my favorite hosts. I wish she wouldn't do this, but clearly, she wants to. It's just a shame that it isn't a good look on her, and I don't think it sells clothes either. On the few occasions I've seen her wear clothes that are her proper size (whatever that is), she looks really great.

I don't think, however, her habit of wearing too-small clothes is going to change - it doesn't change for any of the women who do it.

---------------------------

@Moonchilde -  You may be right!   Guess my thought was --  where is the stylist??  The hosts are always making reference to the person that styles the models and the hosts.  I would hope that person would make a constructive suggestion as to the ill-fitting clothing.

It's my guess (and only a guess) that some hosts never make use of the stylists, and some make occasional or intermittent use of them. I'd be surprised if anyone used the stylists all the time.

I chuckle to myself sometimes when a poster comments that a stylist must not have weighed in (no pun intended) with what a particular host is wearing in a particular show, because the poster thinks it looks inappropriate or terrible. How does anyone know it wasn't a stylist who actually dressed the host? Everyone's style opinion is different ;-)

@Moonchilde@LancerHawkFriar

@corita, Great discussion!  Agree with all you have said.  It occured to me that CG may be between sizes and of course Q wouldn't allow alterations nor have the time to do that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Carolyn is my favorite host too......

I think the problem with her clothing sizing is something she stated on one of her shows one time.....she said something to the effect that if you wear clothes that are a little bit larger it makes you look bigger, and wearing a smaller size makes you look thinner (perhaps a stylist told her this), but I wholeheartedly DISAGREE I think clothes should fit properly.....tight clothes are just NOT flattering at all!!! 

There were some comments made on her Facebook Page and Carolyn said that she read viewer comments and was going to try her regular size and a size up and see what looked better and wear that.....but it looks like she abandoned the project.

But I don't think this is just a problem with Carolyn I see several host and models wearing too tight a size too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@corita wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@corita wrote:

@LancerHawkFriar wrote:

I like CG very much. She is a real sized woman and owns it and talks about her figure flaws etc...very honestly And candidly which is very refreshing.  My peeve today is whoever styled her outfit today made a huge booboo.....that jacket she had on did not fit her at all!!! No way could she zip that thing! It was so unflattering on her. I felt bad for her because ususlly she looks great. Think the wardrobe/stylists need to rethink their choices...

-------------------

I agree with every thing you said about Carolyn - her honesty and openness.  And yes, it seems like everytime I have seen Carolyn lately, her clothes do not fit her body!!  I do think it is as simple as wearing clothes in a larger size.   I also think the same happens to two other Q people that I like - Leah and Jaquie, the model.

Having watched Carolyn for years, I've come to the conclusion that consistently wearing her clothing at least a size too small is her choice, and hers alone.

There have been several threads on the forums about women who wear their clothes too small. It's just the way they like to wear them - they honestly think that is their best look. Others may think oh no, it must be someone else's fault, that person couldn't possibly be doing that on purpose - but they are.

I like Carolyn a lot. She's one of my favorite hosts. I wish she wouldn't do this, but clearly, she wants to. It's just a shame that it isn't a good look on her, and I don't think it sells clothes either. On the few occasions I've seen her wear clothes that are her proper size (whatever that is), she looks really great.

I don't think, however, her habit of wearing too-small clothes is going to change - it doesn't change for any of the women who do it.

---------------------------

@Moonchilde -  You may be right!   Guess my thought was --  where is the stylist??  The hosts are always making reference to the person that styles the models and the hosts.  I would hope that person would make a constructive suggestion as to the ill-fitting clothing.

@corita  I think the problem IS the QVC stylist.....just like someone commented that one of the designers complained and asked why 2 models were dressed in black/white....even if that is a best seller, if they showed one of the models dressed in a color that might sell real well too....and sometimes what they put on the models does not look very appealing.  One time one of the models had on a pair of white pants (NOT a legging or jegging) and they were sooooo tight you could see every crack and crevice and it looked like the model was uncomfortable with it....she kept tugging at her top trying to pull the top down further to hide her pants....and then she stood behind the couch on the set looking like she was trying to hide...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It isn't just CG, the models and other hosts wear their jackets way too small.  Whomever told them that wearing a clothing item that is too big makes them look bigger is so totally WRONG.....  an item that actually fits makes the body look "normal" and therefore sizing really is not an issue visually.  

But wearing clothing too small, especially jackets, makes the person look HUGE because visually you are seeing a ton of the body's center section and you know immediately that something is wrong so you keep staring at the person.... oh YEAH.... they don't fit into their jacket, THEY'RE TOO BIG FOR IT~!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

After seeing her today, I don't think she wears a size large. She may squeeze into a large but it can't be comfortable. After all she has been through this year, it is understandable that she has gained weight. After a certain age, we have to be honest with ourselves regarding weight and sizes.

If we're going to be honest, though, we also have to make sure that we don't use age as a rationalization. A healthful diet and exercise can keep many aging people in very good shape and at a reasonable weight for their body.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

If we're going to be honest, though, we also have to make sure that we don't use age as a rationalization. A healthful diet and exercise can keep many aging people in very good shape and at a reasonable weight for their body.

I assume her point was that "reasonable weight for their body" isn't exactly the same at 55 as it was for 25 - that as we age, hormonally and activity-wise it's very difficult to maintain our 25 year old body. Not to mention that ability to exercise as in walk, hike, run, bike, etc. is not possible for many as they age due to various factors. Exercising for, say, flexibility and circulation isn't necessarily going to burn a lot of calories and produce firm muscle tone. People have to work with what they have and quite possibly be satisfied with their reasonable weight 50+ year old body and not yearn for their tennis-playing 25 year old body.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

I assume her point was that "reasonable weight for their body" isn't exactly the same at 55 as it was for 25 - that as we age, hormonally and activity-wise it's very difficult to maintain our 25 year old body. Not to mention that ability to exercise as in walk, hike, run, bike, etc. is not possible for many as they age due to various factors. Exercising for, say, flexibility and circulation isn't necessarily going to burn a lot of calories and produce firm muscle tone. People have to work with what they have and quite possibly be satisfied with their reasonable weight 50+ year old body and not yearn for their tennis-playing 25 year old body.

The poster didn't use the word "reasonable"; I did. So it was I who was implying that age may have some influence on weight. And of course there could be mitigating factors when it comes to exercise.

But for those in relatively good health who CAN exercise (even just walking), I still think that it is very possible to maintain a healthy weight. And most people without mitigating circumstances can follow a healtful diet.

And I also believe that some rationalize not doing so -- just as some talk about weight from pregnancy hanging on for years (yes, I know it's usually a one-liner).

No one says it's easy, but it can be done.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

What is "real women"????  I'm a size 2-4, am I not real? 

Maybe she chose her own clothing.  How do you know somone else dressed her?

I get so tired of these "real women" comments.  It would seem that only women the size and shape of Carolyn are considered to be real women, according to many posters here and many hosts on QVC.  I'm 6ft tall and slim and I am just as real as anyone else!

As far as her clothes go, I do think she often wears things that don't flatter her.  The short jackets only seem to emphasize her widest part and when it looks like the two sides won't meet in the middle to do up, that just makes it worse.

@MarthaStewardess

I get sick of the "real woman" comments also.  We better eat more and stop exercising so we can be "real women" also.