Respected Contributor

Re: where do you put you cats food when the dog wants to eat it.

i agree. dogs cant help themseles . if its there and they think no ones looking there going to try to steal some. i have had dogs and cats for 30 years and dogs allways try .

Super Contributor

Great replays, I love the one that said dogs can't help it, they will sneak food if they have a chance. I'm going to try some of your ideas.

Super Contributor

are you a vet? The vet told me that cat food is very rich in protein more then dogs need. He also said cat food will make dogs fat. So I don't think this is ridiculous.  This is just your opinion. I love my dog and don't want them fat and shorten their lives. A dog life is short enough to. So please don't make such a ridiculous statement.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@little daisy wrote:

are you a vet? The vet told me that cat food is very rich in protein more then dogs need. He also said cat food will make dogs fat. So I don't think this is ridiculous.  This is just your opinion. I love my dog and don't want them fat and shorten their lives. A dog life is short enough to. So please don't make such a ridiculous statement.

I was curious about this so I Googled it.  I found this on VetStreet which supports what @little daisy's Vet said.

Dog and cat foods may seem pretty similar on the surface, but there are some important differences. Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they need to eat meat as their main food source, whereas dogs are omnivores and need a diet with more fiber than a strictly carnivorous diet can provide. Still, there is meat in dog food, too, so why do dogs crave their feline friends’ food so fiercely?

“Since dogs can’t tell us why they love cat food,” says Sharon Crowell-Davis, DVM, DACVB, professor in the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Georgia, “and it is pretty consistent amongst most dogs (they just really do love cat food!), I’m going to guess it’s the higher protein content and the effect it has on the flavor.”

Dr. Crowell-Davis even uses cat treats as incentives for some of her canine behavioral patients because the deliciousness galvanizes the pups, just as long as "the dog loves them and the dog’s stomach can handle them, and it helps motivate the dog in learning how to behave the way the owner wants it to," she says.

But just because something tastes good doesn’t mean we should eat it all the time. Dr. Crowell-Davis compares cat food and dogs to cake and humans. “It’s not necessarily the best thing for our diet, and certainly if we ate nothing but cake, we’d become really sick. But as an occasional treat, it's not going to hurt us.”

But she points out that with some dogs, even as a rare delicacy, cat food can cause problems because dogs aren’t designed to have such a protein-dense diet. “Some dogs will get an upset stomach — vomiting, diarrhea — from eating cat food, while some other dogs with a tougher stomach can handle cat food,” she says. “If your dog breaks into the bag of cat food, is it going to kill the dog? Absolutely not. But if your dog does vomit or have diarrhea, make sure the dog can’t get [into] the cat food again, because it’s obviously one of those dogs whose GI system reacts badly to cat food.”

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

I want to apologize to anybody who saw my last message was to them. I was writing to Jacx mom I appreciate all the comments that all you ladies and gentlemen have put on this matter thank you so much. Little Daisy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Look at the dog food ingredients your vet is selling. Do some research on the history of commercial pet foods and how they came into being. My husband has been to the plants where kibble dog food is made. And what meat is in them, comes from downed, sick and dying animals. The vast majority of dog foods contain grains and vegetables that are not part of a dogs natural diet. Of course dogs are going to seek out high protein, it's exactly what they are designed to eat and do eat when they naturally hunted for food. Meat and bones. They weren't out there with digging sticks harvesting potatoes or threshing grains to eat. I'm certainly not saying anyone should feed their dog commercial cat food, but to say that it's wrong or unhealthy for a dog to want to eat a high protien diet is yes, rediculous. And most vets get very little nutritional education while in vet schools and what they do get is from pet food manufacturers. Unless they make an effort to study it on their own. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval