Super Contributor

Just tyring to find out if anyone else know a solution for this problem. We have a male cat that was adopted from a shelter appx 4 years ago and suddenly he has started to get too "frisky" with my old(13 yr) spayed female cat..she is not happy about this! he also love a certain blanket we have, I took him to the vet and the only answer they had was one of those feliway plug ins for the wall to maybe make him feel more relaxed, well its been two weeks and no change..any suggestions?

Respected Contributor

Re: "friendly" fixed male cat

Has he been neutered?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I have 6 cats and my youngest does the same thing. All the cats in my house are fixed. He loves both the girls and boys equally. The only thing to do is try and break them up. I have found the Feliway does nothing. 

Super Contributor

yes, should have said before, he has been neutered

Honored Contributor

@marzi 1 1 wrote:

yes, should have said before, he has been neutered

I assumed he was neutered from your using the word "fixed" in the subject.  😊

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Feliway plug-in takes 30 days to work.

Feliway spray works within 15 minutes.  Spray the areas (never the cat) once a week.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

Do NOT waste your money on Feliway. I was suckered into trying this and purchased both the collars and the diffusers for multiple rooms. I had them in place for months, using refills even, and they never worked at all. Wasted too much money on that junk.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

You mentioned that your "frisky" cat also loves a blanket that you have....

Put the blanket away.  See if that solves the problem. 

We have a couple of those very soft, plushy throws in our living room.  Two of our male cats (both fixed, by the way...) knead it excessively -- then pounce on our older female cat. 

I put the blanket in the closet and the behavior stopped. 

I think that those plushy blankets might encourage some type of instictive behavior in male and (also) in female cats.

Super Contributor

Several years ago, my husband had a neutered male (he was neutered as soon as possible when he was young). When he was about 14 or 15, he developed an affinity for a spayed female (who had been a breeder when younger). I would often find them at the top of the stairs going at it when I went up to bed at night. She seemed to have no problem with it and he couldn't do any harm, so I left them alone. She was about the same age and I used to joke about them being like two old people in a nursing home.

Your vet might prescribe Ovaban (a female hormone) for him.

Honored Contributor

http://www.spiritessences.com/default.asp

Created by a holistic veterinarian, and endorsed by cat mojo expert Jackson Galaxy.

All-natural and great reviews (mine, too!) - check them out.  Cat Happy