Honored Contributor

Re: "Single Parent" Multiple Dog owners

I have had as many as three dogs and three cats at one time.  Then gradually I lost all my cats and one dog.  I had two dogs for a long time.  I didn't think two were anymore trouble than one, but it is much more expensive.  When I got down to one dog, I really wanted another one.  My dog was so old, though, that I was afraid he wouldn't be able to deal with a younger dog, so I waited.  

Now I only have one dog.  I really like having just one dog and don't plan to get anymore.  I think mainly it's the expense that keeps me from getting another one, but there are other factors, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I have so much love to share I want another dog so badly,but i am old and if I suddenly get sick or die I would be sad  that my furbabies might become homeless. I am assured my son will take my furbaby now ,but who really knows ,he has 2/3 of  his own already. If i were young again I would definately pursue my passion..........

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I have so much love to share I want another dog so badly,but i am old and if I suddenly get sick or die I would be sad  that my furbabies might become homeless. I am assured my son will take my furbaby now ,but who really knows ,he has 2/3 of  his own already. If i were young again I would definately pursue my passion..........

There are so many senior dogs that need homes. Something to think about.

Esteemed Contributor

I've almost always had 2 dogs, but currently just have 1.  I'd like for him to have a companion, but now is not the right time.  Even though he is a year old, he is still puppy like in his wild behavior and, frankly, he's such a handful I couldn't handle another dog at this time.  I have to agree with @NickNack too as far as expense goes.  Having one dog these days is expensive; having two is crazy expensive!  

My last two dogs both had on-going health issues for years and both required life long medications, which weren't cheap.  I'd have to say that it's definitely the expense that is holding me back the most at this point.  

Contributor

My husband, and I have had anywhere from 1 cat, up to three dogs at a time  ... if I was by myself, I'd stick too one dog, expense, traveling ... one person with two dogs makes for a rough time getting in, and out of hotel rooms.  Plus it can be a lot easier to get a friend to babysit one dog for a night, but two ... not so easy.

It's not difficult for the dogs, but it is more difficult for the owner.

My SIL (a single gal)  has two dogs for years, no problems ... and swears she would never just have one again.

Just keep in mind the expense ... heartworm preventative, maybe grooming depending on breed/coat ... that sort of thing.

Contributor

Single lady with two dogs (and three cats). One dog is a Great Pyrenees, the other a chihuahua mix...needless to say, when we go on walks we get lots of good natured stares!  Not really any more trouble than having one dog, but yes a bit more expense on vet bills and grooming.

Respected Contributor

@dapooh1 wrote:

Single lady with two dogs (and three cats). One dog is a Great Pyrenees, the other a chihuahua mix...needless to say, when we go on walks we get lots of good natured stares!  Not really any more trouble than having one dog, but yes a bit more expense on vet bills and grooming.

We always got looks and oohs and ahhs when we had the 3 Eskies out.  Well, 3  beautiful all white dogs is a thing of beauty if I do say so myself.  My one that passed away last August was exceptionally gorgeous.  Heart

Spoiler

Regular Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

.  I think dogs need a doggie companion - I think they just feel so much more happy. 

+++++++++++++

I wondered about that after I boarded my dog.  When I had my knee replacement recently, my dog was boarded for almost 3 weeks.  Honestly, I was flabbergasted at how happy he was with other dogs.  Everyday, the spa would send me pics of my dog sitting or cuddling w/ other dogs.  He was in the pack.  I was surprised -- my dog is doing what?  Huh???  

BTW, my current dog is small (male -15 lbs.).  The new dog is 60 lbs. (female).

They're both the same age.

So you have the 2nd dog now? How's it going? Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

So you did end up getting a second dog?  :-)

No.  Filled out the application and she said their "committee" would review my application.  Never heard from them again.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

So you did end up getting a second dog?  :-)

No.  Filled out the application and she said their "committee" would review my application.  Never heard from them again.

Go to a shelter!!  There are so many wonderful dogs waiting to be adopted at the shelters and humane societies!