Esteemed Contributor

need advice My Shadow being Put over the Rainbow today

I have held on long enough.  He was fine with his blood work in May, but shortly thereafter stopped eating and kept running away from me.  I took him twice to ER and once to VET, a different one, mine was out of town.  Kidneys were fine, does not have Feline Leukemia, just kept losing weight and not eating no matter what I gave him.  Tried.  The last vet gave him a bag of fluids, the second time and a Steriod shot to help him eat and raise his blood sugar.  That worked for one week and we are back to where we started and he can barely stand or walk.

They want 266 for a private cremation.  I can bury him in the backyard, but can get no one in the family to dig for me.  They are all busy.  I am 80 years and put my back out this week or I would dig..  I am staying with him in my arms and singing tg him as he goes to sleep, but leaving him there and then getting a plaque for the back with his name and flowers.  My reasoning is, he doesn't know he is not back there, but I will remember him.I feel guility because my other animals are in a pet cemetary in the back, but I had help for digging then. 

Any advice.  I have to leave in an hour and so sad.  I can't afford the creamation.  I put out 600 already in May and June and 900 in his eye for herpes last year.  I have taken care of him to the best of my ability. He got dementia in the last year since the herpes in his eye and doesn't know me anymore, yet will putt when I hold him.  He is so skinny not his back bones are showing under the fur.  Can't brush him, it hurts.  He was fine in May, don't know what happen and vets can't tell me.  Three different ones.

Trusted Contributor

Re: need advice My Shadow being Put over the Rainbow today

I have no advice really but want to tell you how very sorry I am for all that you and your furbaby are going through.  This is the part of pet ownership I hate!  Please know you took the best care of him and gave him a beautiful life.  Please take care of yourself and know you are in our prayers.

Respected Contributor

I feel so badly for what you are going through.  Please don't beat yourself up about not being able to afford the cremation or dig the hole to bury him yourself.  You can only do what you are able...your dear pet won't care, he will be enjoying his reward at the Rainbow Bridge and waiting for you.  What you have planned with the memorial plaque in your yard will be a lovely tribute.  Sending you a hug and a prayer.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much for your hugs and kind words.   I am crying as you who have lost pets know.

Honored Contributor

@ 

Sweetheart, I wished I lived near you, I would dig the grave for you, right hand to God.

I've been where you are going, umpteen times.  I promise you, singing and soothing Shadow as you give him back to God is what matters most. 

Please don't feel guilty that Shadow's remains won't be in the cemetery. 

Shadow will be near you when you need it, whether or not he is buried in the backyard.

Sending you prayers for strength.  If you are driving yourself (Lord have Mercy) please be careful and check back in to this thread when you can.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Sending,

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry. Don't feel bad. You've taken very good care of your pet and that's all that truly matters. 

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry this is happening for you today. 

Our vets have a freezer and can hold the pet for a few days while final arrangements are made. We had to do this with two dogs in the past.

Would someone be available to dig for you in a day or two? 

If so perhaps the vet can hold Shadow for you until then.

Occasional Contributor

I am so sorry that you are  going through this difficult time.

It sounds like you have done all that you can.

Your love for Shadow is the important thing today.

I so wish I could help you. Please trust yourself.

I will be praying for you.... God Bless

Honored Contributor

Please know that  you are doing the hard thing, the difficult thing, and the best thing for your beloved pet!  It is a brave thing for  you to do, and shows how much you love!

Don't worry about the final resting place.  The final resting place is always in your heart, so what happens to the poor worn out body is not important.  Do the best you can, but don't worry about that.  Just remember the love and the good times. 

Prayers and love to you!