Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone for your help.  We have thought of getting another pet, but a this time cannot as my daughter has a newborn almost two months old.  In the near future we will do this.  Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and sympathy.

Respected Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I am so sorry for the loss. It is not easy on the humans or the animals when a loved one is gone – animal or human.

Here is some food for thought:

Even two animals form a pack. One is the leader and the other is the follower – which often changes from day to day or even activity to activity. With the loss of one there is no longer a pack. Stella has no one of her “own kind” and she is accustom to having that type of companionship. She has lost her best friend, as well as her pack and the structure of her normal life.

I had two cats for the longest time and they were good buddies. When the older one died the remaining cat grieved unbelievably. The only thing that helped was the addition of a new cat (not a kitten). She found comfort from the new cat and they soon formed a beautiful bond. I wasn’t ready for a new cat but she desperately needed one. The new addition turned out to be a blessing for both of us.

our vet said the same thing. We have dogs and he said dogs being a pack animal like one of their own kind even though they love us so much. When we lost one the other went and laid in the spot she passed away in, wouldn't eat. We had to take her to the vet for shots and fed her with a tube food from our finger. This went on for months. We had another dog at the time but these 2 were just so close(both spayed females) but it didn't seem to matter.

She eventually came around and got attached to the other dog thank goodness.

We now have a spayed female and a neutered male but these are very independent and        really don't bother with each other, only want to be with us.

I am sorry you lost you dog and yes, do consider getting another one even to take this one to help pick out another dog which is what a friend of mine did, worked out great.