Honored Contributor

I took Echo in again to the vet and she was given a steroid shot,as on the x-ray was found a thickening of the small intestine that could indicate IBD but surely inflammation. So now  she is eating a tiny amount . Got her some good natural food with no junk in it. Also gave her a hairball remedy that has petroleum in it as that doesn't absorb into the tissue, just lubes around the rather copious  "installment"( thanks Sammy). Hasn't done the job yet and if she is still heavy with poo----she'll get an enema tomorrow.  Also went into a Natural Pet Store in my town to talk cat  and of course, the person told me I shouldn't give her that hairball stuff but you know, if it will get this thing out of her system after a few mouthfuls and I can get her back to normal, I'm going to follow what my vet says. Also am thinking of nixing the dry food and going strictly canned. Will address the skin issues later.

thanks everyone!!

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Hi @wagirl - It sounds like Echo is not having any serious problems except for this. DH would recommend Blue Wilderness food, and one specifically for sensitive stomach. There is also a holistic compound medicine you can put on food - I can't remember the name, but I know it's chicken flavored and most cats love it. I will ask him later when I see him! Smiley Happy

Yes I was told about something similar that I will check out tomorrow. I bought the brand Wellness grain free for cats, and some from Blue Wilderness wet food. She ate a little bit of the wellness.But I would like to know what you are talking about.

thanks

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I took Echo in again to the vet and she was given a steroid shot,as on the x-ray was found a thickening of the small intestine that could indicate IBD but surely inflammation. So now  she is eating a tiny amount . Got her some good natural food with no junk in it. Also gave her a hairball remedy that has petroleum in it as that doesn't absorb into the tissue, just lubes around the rather copious  "installment"( thanks Sammy). Hasn't done the job yet and if she is still heavy with poo----she'll get an enema tomorrow.  Also went into a Natural Pet Store in my town to talk cat  and of course, the person told me I shouldn't give her that hairball stuff but you know, if it will get this thing out of her system after a few mouthfuls and I can get her back to normal, I'm going to follow what my vet says. Also am thinking of nixing the dry food and going strictly canned. Will address the skin issues later.

thanks everyone!!

I think you are right to stop the dry food and just feed canned. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

Hi @wagirl - It sounds like Echo is not having any serious problems except for this. DH would recommend Blue Wilderness food, and one specifically for sensitive stomach. There is also a holistic compound medicine you can put on food - I can't remember the name, but I know it's chicken flavored and most cats love it. I will ask him later when I see him! Smiley Happy

Yes I was told about something similar that I will check out tomorrow. I bought the brand Wellness grain free for cats, and some from Blue Wilderness wet food. She ate a little bit of the wellness.But I would like to know what you are talking about.

thanks

Wellness is an excellent brand of cat food.  I hope your cat will end up liking it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

thanks

We used this too -- the brand we had was purina veterinary feline fortiflora (if that's what you're thinking of).  Helped a lot.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

thanks

Hi again @wagirl! I asked DH and it turns out the medicine I was thinking about was for hyperthyroidism - sorry!  He said for your issues he would probably try the BW canned food specifically for sensitive stomachs. If that doesn't make a difference, ask your own veterinarian about a dosage of mineral oil. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Hi all---the continuing saga of Echo the stopped up cat continues!!!!

No----, she still is not contributing to her cat box the way she needs to.

Yes---and hurray--she is eating more but not much.

Yes--- I think getting rid of the dry cat food is the way to go too.

Yes--that probiotic brand  is what I have.

Thanks for all the info you all have given me, it has helped alot.

I take Echo to the vet  this a.m. to do the enema. I sure hope this does it for her. And me!!

Honored Contributor

Happy Dance!!! Got my Echo home from vet yesterday--all cleaned out and now things are getting back to normal-----I HOPE!!!  She is eating and using her box again, so on to finding her a better diet. We have a natural pet store in town so I think I will go there and chat with those folks about food and the supplements.

Did I mention --------dogs have masters

cats have staff

Yep that's right!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Super Contributor

I'm sorry for responding so late on this thread. I highly recommend Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free (chicken) is what I feed my 19 year old cat, Sera. I buy it at Amazon using their Subscribe and Save system. 

A little background on my girl. In Dec 2010, she began throwing up every single day, usually multiple times a day. We took her to the Vet and they couldn't find anything definitive without doing invasive surgery, which I wasn't putting her through. She's frightened and stressed by pretty much everything...and after giving steroids a try (turned her into a zombie and her weight plummeted), I decided to change up her diet. Her entire life she ate premium dry food, because it was what her Vet recommended and I didn't know how bad dry food was for her. So first thing I decided was no more dry food. 

Trying to to find a wet food she'd eat was a struggle that went on for well over a year. I tried everything from expensive premium foods to low end foods. I tried cooking chicken and dicing it. She'd nibble on some and ignore others. She'd eat Friskie's for a few weeks and then wouldn't eat it at all. During this time I was also supplementing her food with stage 1 baby food (chicken) that the Vet recommended. I actually continued the baby food for over 3 years. 

She went from 9.9 lbs down to 6.4 lbs. She continued to throw up, sometimes a day or two would pass with no puke. Periodically, we'd have luck with a brand that she would eat for a few months and then simply stop eating it. So the search would be on for a new something she'd eat. I'd research and research, trying to find something she and her stomach would tolerate. Her care was a full time job. My husband and I no longer travel back to see our families together...because one of us needs to stay with her.

About a year ago I found the Nature's Variety and not only does she still eat it, her health has vastly improved. In Nov she pretty much stopped puking. Out of the blue. Where she had been throwing up daily, we now get a little bit of puke every 3 weeks or so. Her weight stays steady at 7.2 lbs and she acts like a kitten, more playful...more energetic. Nothing else had changed in her care other than the switch to this food...it took her being on it for 6 months or so before all of these changes kicked into high gear. It's either a miracle from God or this food. Regardless, we're feeling very blessed. She's pretty much deaf at this point, but she still plays a mean game of laser tag. 

wagirl, I hope you and your baby find your miracle. ❤️

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Occasional Contributor

We have a pet specialty store. Have you tried Kona canned cat food?  It is made for cats with unique protein needs as it is made with kangaroo sourced from New Zealand (very safe product!).  The price point is great.  It might be worth a try.  Also, as someone else mentioned our store does take back food if your pet does not like it, so be sure to ask about a  return policy.  For the hairballs, Pet Naturals of Vermont makes a wonderful hairball remedy called "Hairball"... but it may be chicken flavored - I don't recall for sure. We have had to use OTC Benadryl for our dog's allergies in the past. I agree - check out knowledgeable stores in your area to see what ideas they might have for you to try.  Hope you are able to find some relief for your pet!