Honored Contributor

I have a 6 year old striped tabby named Echo is going thru digestive issues and hairballs and the upchucking of said hairballs. Also having skin issues too, prob from allergies. Been to the vet and all is well orgainically, no blockages. Had x-rays done and saw that slowly, the stool is passing thru, the way it supposed to so hopefully any hour now, it will show up in the cat box. My question---I need catfood that is allergy friendly, no fish, beef, milk, or additives And that doesn't cost $10 a can. Also need something for hairballs. I think I have spent prob $50 on canned food that she turns up her nose. And altho I love this vet, she will want to put Echo on steroids maybe for the allergies and I would just as soon try something else first,. She gave me a list of OTC allergy meds for people that I can try but need to know if anyone has done this with their cat. Man alive------any help would be great!

Dogs have masters, cats have staff!!! No kidding!!!!!

thanks!!!

Honored Contributor

My cat for a year suffered from throwing up his food as well as hairballs for a whole year!

Cat lost weight but otherwise, healthy.  Still running around acting crazy & never in distress except when throwing up.  Strange thing is, only threw up in the middle of the night and only on newspaper that I laid down in the bathroom.  Never during the daytime.

The following is what worked for my cat......

Capilax for the hairballs.  It's a 30 day tx program.  You can only purchase this from a vet.  Not sold in stores or online.

Petromalt after the 30 day tx w/Capilax.

Iams cat food for sensitive stomach and/or digestive issues.

Took 3-4 months for the throwing up the food to stop completely and 2 weeks for throwing up hairballs back to it's normal occurrance.  My cats threw up hairballs once a month during the summer months.  Never during the winter even though he sheds all year round.  100% house cat.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Does your cat only eat canned food, or can she have dry also?

If you have a pet store around that has someone knowledgeable I would ask.  And every pet store I know, will take the food back if your cat won't eat it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wagirl, we had a cat with allergies/food intolerances/gut issues, too.  We fed her Natural Balance duck and pea (canned or dry).  She had to ultimately go the steroid route, but not on prednisolone.  Our vet used a steroid called budesonide, which has far less side effects  and it worked like a charm.

Another cat we had with heart failure who developed gut issues also went on budesonide (cats with heart disease should not be on prednisolone; it pushed the heart too much) and he responded very well to it.  It did not bother his heart or kidneys.

Food for thought!  Good luck with your baby.

Honored Contributor

Pam, Rick never had that problem.  Thought I'd add my comment about the natural balance cat food, if you go that route.  My mother's dog just started eating that brand.  It was duck and something else, but a dry food.  My mother paid $21 for a 4.2 oz bag.  I found the same bag on jet for $12.  New members get 15% off their first three orders and free shipping with a $35 purchase.  Something to keep in mind.

Honored Contributor

Red convert--yes she does eat canned food in the a.m. then dry food.

GCR---hey you!!!! just having a devil of a time with this cat!! Today she ate a whole slice of deli turkey and finally got her to slurp up some milk with pumpkin---now I know milk is NOT for cats but she hasn't eaten or drank anything in days. And still no poop and thats been days too. Had 2 subcutaneous fluids at vet  and had xrays done yesterday. No fever. All organs look find just this huge solid thing in her bowels. Kinda of quiet but still alert. Suppose I'll call the vet today---again. Will need to find some sort of food that will ease her delicate digestion.

Esteemed Contributor

If she's that obstructed, why hasn't the vet tried something like lactulose to get her moving?  Or an enema to get this "installment" cleared out to make her comfortable and start from a baseline?  Cats that obstructed have no appetite, no matter what you wave in front of them.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

If she's that obstructed, why hasn't the vet tried something like lactulose to get her moving?  Or an enema to get this "installment" cleared out to make her comfortable and start from a baseline?  Cats that obstructed have no appetite, no matter what you wave in front of them.

Sammy---

First things first. Trying to get vomiting under control. She had 2 injections of cerenia to try to relieve the vomiting and barrium to make sure there are no blockages in the intestinal tract. Now there is a thickening in the intestine that can indicate inflammation and possible IBD which would lead to all these issues. Going back today for a steroid shot to treat inflammation. Vets not worried about the stool as it is soft and she is well hydrated from subcutaneous fluids. Enemas are the last thing they want to do cuzz it can cause more vomiting. And the lactulose was discussed too. Thanks for your input. I like to know what to ask about. I love the "installment" description!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Sammy---

First things first. Trying to get vomiting under control. She had 2 injections of cerenia to try to relieve the vomiting and barrium to make sure there are no blockages in the intestinal tract. Now there is a thickening in the intestine that can indicate inflammation and possible IBD which would lead to all these issues. Going back today for a steroid shot to treat inflammation. Vets not worried about the stool as it is soft and she is well hydrated from subcutaneous fluids. Enemas are the last thing they want to do cuzz it can cause more vomiting. And the lactulose was discussed too. Thanks for your input. I like to know what to ask about. I love the "installment" description!!!

My cat with similar issues went on a rollercoaster of vomiting and constipation -- with the vet swatting at everything. That's when we ended up on budesonide (oral).  I wish we would have started it sooner because it calmed the whole thing down and she lived a far more comfortable life (she had developed IBD). Good luck -- hope your kitty feels better soon!

Honored Contributor

Hi @wagirl - It sounds like Echo is not having any serious problems except for this. DH would recommend Blue Wilderness food, and one specifically for sensitive stomach. There is also a holistic compound medicine you can put on food - I can't remember the name, but I know it's chicken flavored and most cats love it. I will ask him later when I see him! Smiley Happy