Super Contributor

Mercy, our wonderful almost 6 month old golden has learned a new trick. She will bring you her Kong and whine if there is no peanut butter in it. She's just too funny. It's a laugh a minute at my house raising that sweet girl! I can't imagine life without a dog.

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Honored Contributor

Re: We have spoiled Mercy

[ Edited ]

Goldens are so smart.  It doesn't take them long to figure out who the softie in the house is.  In our house it's definitely me.  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@MercysMom wrote:

Mercy, our wonderful almost 6 month old golden has learned a new trick. She will bring you her Kong and whine if there is no peanut butter in it. She's just too funny. It's a laugh a minute at my house raising that sweet girl! I can't imagine life without a dog.

Our dog will do the same thing.  She is a 6 years old 50 lb. mutt.  Smartest dog we have had yet.  Sneakers will bring us her kong or any toy that we have put a treat in, and drop it on the floor by our feet.  If she gets no immediate reaction, she picks it up and does it again.  She is really more like throwing it (with her mouth) onto the floor as opposed to dropping it, and stands there staring at us and wagging her tail.  We usually fold up a rawhide stick and put it in, which she gets out in no time.  We go through this routine every morning and evening.  She is too funny and we love and enjoy her everyday.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

Awww that is so cute. They love peanut butter LOL. MAkes me really miss having a dog around. I will enjoy your Mercy stories in the meantime. Keep em coming!!

Esteemed Contributor
Goldens are so full of personality. I taught Chloe to shake for food. Now she will come to you and put her paw up to ask if you have something. Goldens are so funny. Never dull moment with one.
Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
Goldens are so full of personality. I taught Chloe to shake for food. Now she will come to you and put her paw up to ask if you have something. Goldens are so funny. Never dull moment with one.

My Jade always did that and if I didn't give her a treat she'd pull harder on my arm - very strong girl!  She'd also knock on backdoor to come in!  Eddy 'cries' to come in and if I don't come soon enough, he'll bark loudly a few ties 'til I come!  When he wants seconds on his meals when done he'll sit by his bowl and stare at me until I give him seconds.  For extra cookies, if I'm sitting, he'll come over and snuggle his head in my lap.  I always tell him 'no', but he keeps at it, then as a last resort stands with his paws in my lap and begin kissing me until I give in.  Guess he had me pegged for a Softe in a NY heartbeat!Woman Embarassed

Do you guys like how they 'talk' to us when they want something you're preparing for yourself to make sure you make enough to share?

Super Contributor

@eddyandme

Oh yes, they do talk to us!  Mercy's other vice is cheese, like most dogs. I take a few squares of cheese and a bag of almonds with me every day to work for my snack. She knows exactly when it's time for me to pack my lunch bag...around 7:00 am. She sits at the fridge waiting for her cheese. I can touch anything else in that fridge and she is still, but as soon as I touch the cheese her tail goes a mile a minute! 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Esteemed Contributor

@MercysMom wrote:

@eddyandme

Oh yes, they do talk to us!  Mercy's other vice is cheese, like most dogs. I take a few squares of cheese and a bag of almonds with me every day to work for my snack. She knows exactly when it's time for me to pack my lunch bag...around 7:00 am. She sits at the fridge waiting for her cheese. I can touch anything else in that fridge and she is still, but as soon as I touch the cheese her tail goes a mile a minute! 

@MercysMom

Mercy reminds me of my Jade, a yellow lab.  They do like to eat!  Got a side-by-side fridge and Jade would always like to look inside to check out the goodies!  Eddy, not so much.  But, the minute I get out something he likes or go to the microwave, he could be dozing but suddenly he's up and waiting for his share. 

Another thing I've that's always amused me is when I'm cooking "real food" (from scratch) or baking (on a rare occasion) they're right there standing on top of you, then "guarding" the stove.  And, the look of joy on their faces upon taking something from the oven! 

Guess food becomes the unplanned memories - picturing their happiness when they're gone and developing new memories for the babes we have now.  Who would've thunk - ha!Woman Surprised

Please keep writing about Mercy - I enjoy reading them greatly!

Esteemed Contributor

Willie is the first of all our dogs to like (LOVE!) ice cubes.  Whenever I open the freezer, which is on the bottom of our fridge, his nose is right there checking it all out and waiting for a "cube".  He sits for them, shakes, and then I give it to him.  Then he is off to the races......half the fun is dancing around it for a few seconds and then it is crunch, crunch. 

I also got a hint from someone on here about freezing a wet rag for a teething puppy to chew on.  He likes these, also.  I took an old towel, cut it in strips, put knots in them, wet them down and froze them.  It makes for a good chew time and it wasn't MADE IN CHINA!!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!